• Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Spinning wheel (Read 2,169 times)

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Re: Spinning wheel
Reply #15 - May 21st, 2017 at 7:58pm

On the spinning wheel, I am using Delrin bushings on the flyer assembly and in the foot treadle bearings, but the main wheel has a steel shaft running in the two cherry uprights as they are typically made. Its a hard area to design a better bearing. My question is, is there a good lubricant to use for steel against wood? Rotation speed there is not too high.
Thanks, Geo.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #16 - May 22nd, 2017 at 11:47am

George,

Cherry will wear pretty fast regardless of lubricant if the wheel is used by a serious spinner (I live with one). 

Have you thought about a split bearing of delrin?   Half bearings (bottom half) are not uncommon as they accommodate gravity and most side thrust.  Top half not required, but looks symetrical.   See an example on the electric eel spinning machine. 

Dense woods that are durable for bearings (commonly used as half bearings) are lignum vitae and hop hornbeam. 

If it is going to be a decorative wheel, a strip of poly under the axle will do.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #17 - May 22nd, 2017 at 3:31pm

Well the better half says she will learn how to do this spinning thing. Real interested right now. The strip of poly under the axle sounds like an easy fix. Possibly MC has some delrin shim stock also. Thanks much, Geo.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Reply #18 - May 28th, 2017 at 7:39pm

I steel wooled the one part that was too shiny and brought it back to what I think looks good. Finished all the other parts with just one coat of the Minwax product buffed slightly. Need to start on the peddle assembly but waiting for some wood to come in from Rockler. Other than that the wheel seems to spin the bobbin assembly really nice on the Delrin bearings. I'm using a couple of standard nylon bushings on the Treadle bar. Hope this post is still on the correct Forum?

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Reply #19 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 10:18am

I finished the spinning wheel and would like to post a picture. Should it go on this same thread?

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #20 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 11:30am

The Gallery would be the best place for it.
You will have to register in the gallery, it's different software.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print