Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Finishing, How & Why?
Apr 30th, 2017 at 8:02pm

We all turn different things out of a wide range of wood species and for many different purposes. This leads to a wide variety of finishing products and methods. Everything from utility pieces to purely ornamental artwork and everything in between typically has some type of finish applied to it.
So, I'd like to know
QOTW
What determines how (your process) and with what product/s you use to apply finish to your work?

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Supporter

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Re: Finishing, How & Why?
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2017 at 12:33pm

For pens I use CA and Ren wax.
Bowls: WOP, House blend of BLO/Shellac/thinner, any & all of which gets a REN wax coat.

Glenn j.

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #2 - May 1st, 2017 at 4:27pm

It depends.
For my routine turnings in wood with darker grain, I've gone to using poly--mostly WOP that I mix myself, although I have experimented with polycrylic.
For lighter woods I tend to use lacquer since it does not yellow the wood, but that's variable depending on what it's going to be used for.
Rolling pins I finish with mineral oil.
Occasionally, I'll experiment with using clear epoxy as an overcoat--say for a cakestand or CA for a peppermill.
I've quit using the shellac/BLO based friction finishes.
I've also discovered Rustoleum 3X clear coat, adds a lot of shine---learning curve with it though.
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2017 at 4:30pm by David Hill »  

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2017 at 8:59am

With all the threads going on about food-safe finishes, buffing systems and what to use on what wood, I would have thought we would have received more responses.
  Undecided
I'll bump this thread with a little of how I start my finishing process.
I usually determine what finish I'm going to use before I turn the piece. Once I have the idea of how I want the piece to look, then I consider how can I achieve that look. What finish will give me the look I want, the durability I want and will the wood accept it.

So for me, every piece is different. That doesn't mean every piece gets a different finish but every piece needs to go through the same process of consideration. I find that it quickly refines the number of choices to a more manageable number.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2017 at 3:28pm

I think the right answer here starts with, "It depends ...." as Dave has already done.

If it is a bowl it falls into one category
...if that bowl has embellishments that are textured it goes into another category
...if it has great grain  ... another category
..If I apply color .. another ..

by now you get the idea.  Overall I like finishes that give me good, repeatable results Cool.  I need to be able to rely on the outcome... I HATE stripping a finish after I have spent so much time making it Angry

For me, right now I am working with a General Finishes Seal-A-Cell (red can) initial (~3 coats) with a General Finishes Arm-R-Seal (green can) top coat (~3 coats).  I apply the coats thin and allow to cure ~4 hours between coats.
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2017 at 3:29pm by Tom Coghill »  

IP Logged

Rick Caron
WR Supporter

So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Reply #5 - May 7th, 2017 at 7:08pm

Iv'e been mixing 1/3 BLO, 1/3 mineral spirits, 1/3  varnish.  On this last bowl i cut the amount of BLO in half.  Just that little bit of BLO brings out the grain,  And it dries much faster.  Can now apply 2 to 3 coats in a day. Don't have to wait days before applying another coat. I use a paper towel to apply  while bowl is on lathe.  Spinning as slow as my lathe will go, 100 RPM.      Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print