WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Photography !!
May 4th, 2017 at 4:29am

I am wanting to take a better pics for my flutes on my website.I have an old digital camera but my Iphone takes a better picture I think. What do you guys do?Do you use one of those lighted photography boxes...homemade or purchased..looks simple to make.?What about gradient backgrounds? Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Thanks for any ideas!!

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Photography !!
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2017 at 8:39am

A gradient background is a great addition, IMO the single most important thing that helps you elevate your photos from "kitchen table" to something more professional.
Light boxes or tents are good for diffusing light not hot spots  (glare or reflections).
Using both in conjunction also works well for small items.
None of this equipment is cheap, making a your own lighting station may be less expensive, then you just choose a background.
You need to determine what size you will need to photograph your flutes and make sure there is enough extra room around the subject. I have seen too many photo tent pictures where you are looking at the seem of the tent in the background.
Smaller digital cameras and smartphone cameras have small lenses and do not let in very much light. You may find that you need even more lighting than someone with the same setup using a 35mm/DSLR.
Take lots of photos with various configurations until you find out what you need so that you can replicate it. Camera setting, lighting, background, flash etc.
(I don't use a tent, just a gradient background) Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2017 at 7:01pm

I see different colors/shades of the background.And as you know they arent cheap. Hwre is the best place to get them and is there a package deal on any or do you have to just buy individually what you think might work?  Thanks!!!!

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2017 at 7:13pm

If there is a woodturning group near you, bet there are several accomplished photographers that might help you select equipment that you could see and touch before making a decision.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - May 4th, 2017 at 7:59pm

The color of the background is up to you and what you're taking a photo of. You don't want the background to take away from the product you're trying to promote.
There are also many sizes and materials available which may be important depending on whether you photo area is a temporary or permanent setup
All I can say is that a standard graduated gray to white works well for many situations.
You really should try to find a professional to help you out. I can only tell you whats worked for me.

IP Logged

Glenn Roberts
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2017 at 6:08am

Where's Ralph?

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #6 - May 5th, 2017 at 8:12am

Still asleep!!! Shocked

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #7 - May 5th, 2017 at 8:31am

Ok... I'm sort of awake.

One of the main things you need to do is to get a cheap bedsheet and cut it up and use it as a diffuser for whatever lights you use.  This will help soften the light on the piece and pretty much avoid hot spots glaring back at you. Don't drape it over a floodlight or you might set it on fire.
Make a frame to staple the fabric onto and set that in front of your lights.

If I wasn't already a frame shop, I would go to a frame shop and ask for a sheet of photogray matboard.  They come in 32x40 size so that should be big enough for a large back ground.

It could even be curved around the piece so there are no vertical corners, or curved so there is no horizontal corner, Corner lines usually end up slicing the piece and distracting the viewer. Same thing with shooting your family on vacation... STOP putting the telephone pole right behind your uncle's head!!!

This has to be held in place maybe with spring clamps to whatever frame your shooting into.
Orrrr.. go you your local fabric store and try to find fabric of a medium gray color and use that instead.
I bought one of those "lighted photo boxes" and they are cheap and small.  We are wood workers!! We should be able to build a frame to onthe sides and have an opening in the front to shoot into. Make it big enough  that you aren't going to cramp the piece.

A tripod is essential. The lights should be continuous light type so you can see any shadows or hot spots. Strobe lights will pop out a light and you have no idea what you are getting till you look at that tiny thumbnail image on the back of the camera or in  your computer.

What this means is that you will be taking more time to set it up but you will be getting a much better image in the end.

Running out of caffeine so will stop for now.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #8 - May 5th, 2017 at 9:19am

Another thing that haven't heard mentioned about many of these photo tents is how awkward they can be to use.
Once you set up the tent, you need to place a background and/or something to sit your piece on. Once that's done, you then need to place your subject/object inside and move your camera right into the door opening.
All set, now we take the first shot, look at the preview and find out, it stinks. Now you need to adjust something. First you probably need to move the camera/tripod which is blocking access. You'll have to readjust that again. Then change the composition of something inside the tent without moving the tent itself, which is easier said than done. It's like a slightly larger version of building a ship in a bottle.
This procedure needs to be repeated until you find your best image and can be quite tedious.
I have a photo tent and only use it for the smallest items, less than 8" or so for any dimension.
Making something like Ralph described will give you a custom photo area for your product and most likely be much easier to use.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #9 - May 5th, 2017 at 10:02am

...and don't forget to buy my studio lights!!! Smiley Smiley

Get a good tan while shooting your work!! Smiley

But, seriously... i also have 2 pairs of fluorescent studio lights for sale.

These are rectangular boxes. 2 are 200w lights and the other 2 are 400w lights. By being a wide box, the lighting is more spread out instead of using a single flood style light where there is a single bulb.

These have a set of bulbs. I used them when I started out shoooting art but needed the larger ones for large stuff. My biggest piece was a 70x90 inch quilt, shot in 6 sections. These small lights were useless for something like that but actually good for what we need.

If interested email me.

$250 for the 200w pair and $450 for the 400w pair.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - May 5th, 2017 at 5:27pm

Ralph, you should really post that in the classified section.

To his point, Lights are to a photographer, like clamps are to a woodworker, you can never have enough.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #11 - May 6th, 2017 at 8:12am

Good idea, Ed... thanks. Smiley

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #12 - May 6th, 2017 at 1:09pm

From what I have read the gradient backgrounds are easy to scratch...some say they arent too durable.Are these just paper or construction paper,cardboard ? How is the best way to get the most out of them for most time?

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #13 - May 6th, 2017 at 2:07pm

Mike Turner wrote on May 6th, 2017 at 1:09pm:
From what I have read the gradient backgrounds are easy to scratch...some say they arent too durable.Are these just paper or construction paper,cardboard ? How is the best way to get the most out of them for most time?

Backgrounds come in every material you can think of, from paper to PVC to muslin.
Yes they can be scratched and yes you need to be careful.
"The material and colors do not absorb water, so they can be used with ice cubes, fruit, flowers etc. They can be cleaned with a mild soap solution and soft cloth,"

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #14 - May 6th, 2017 at 8:33pm

Ed, Most of my flutes arent over 30" A few are up to 33". On the 31" by 43" shouldnt that be big  enough? or should I step up to the next size? 43" by 67"? I am totally learning on photography..Thanks for your help!

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #15 - May 6th, 2017 at 10:08pm

There are larger sizes available.
It also depends on how close to the edge you want the item (flute).
Taking a photo and have it be the final result doesn't usually work, you'll most likely want/need to do some cropping.
Examples

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print