WR Addict

Hook 'Em!

Conroe, Texas, USA
Conroe
Texas
USA

Powder post beetles?
May 5th, 2017 at 8:27am

Just checked some donated wood and found holes in them with small piles of powder below.  The wood is of unknown type, but maybe cedar or cherry. 

While the holes will likely make for an interesting final turned object, I am concerned about infestation.  My shop is in my attached garage.  I immediately moved the blanks our into the driveway while I look at my options. 

They were stored in a cabinet with other blanks.  I'm going to clean up all the powder and continue to monitor the rest. 

Any other advice?  My primary concern is that I do not have a problem with the lumber in my home as a result.  Losing these blanks isn't the end of the world. 

Thanks in advance

Delta Midi 46-460

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Powder post beetles?
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2017 at 8:42am

I know it's not feasible in may situations but freezing will kill them.

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Supporter

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2017 at 11:45am

How about a plastic bag and DNA for the blanks? This weekend should be warm enough to evaporate the DNA.

Glenn J. (North Texas)

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #3 - May 5th, 2017 at 2:05pm

Whenever I get a piece in the frame shop with those holes , i squirt some unseal into the holes.
It has Benzene and Toulene in it and I figure nothing can live in that.  (except for people from NJ)

Alcohol should do it as well.

Check for the type of wood powder. A powderpost beetle is really small and the powder is very fine, where a larger bug is some sort of carpenter ant that leaves a much larger hole and will make a bee line for the wood in your building. I had some that came in a block of wood from eBay and i opened the box and they ran out and right to the corner of my shop and into the wall. They produced a much bigger pile of sawdust.

I bought a quite lethal brew of chemicals and spray the he** out of every corner and crack in the shop and then around the whole perimeter outside and aparently it worked as no more sawdust except for what i make and the building is still standing. Thumbs Up

...but, yeah, freezing works, too.

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #4 - May 5th, 2017 at 3:06pm

Since you are in Texas, I would suggest you take the infested blanks and put them in black plastic bags (like lawn bags), seal them closed and put them where the sun will bake them.  The heat should drive the little creatures out.  You may want to spray some kind of bug killer on the wood before putting them in the plastic bags.

I am not directly familiar with what you have there, but it seems like this would do it. Huh

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2017 at 3:10pm

Worth reading up on the family of different critters that go by the common name of powder post beetles. 

Concern about your dwelling is appropriate, especially if you have locations where the  moisture in the wood is higher.  One reference cited 13 percent as attractive. 

Heat or cold can kill them and borates are the insecticides registered.   I noted in the discussion, that any finish will stop the beedles from laying eggs successfully, but the exposed wood at the holes will allow reinfestation.

Glad we do no have those critters in the North (yet).

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #6 - May 5th, 2017 at 3:33pm

Right Ken - except that little spruce beetle (about the size of a grain of white rice) ....   but I don't know if anyone really turns wood that soft.

IP Logged

David Moeller

Old chiseler

Linden, Michigan, USA
Linden
Michigan
USA

CONOVER 15 x Infinity
NOVA Comet 10 x 16
Delta 1440 (converted to VSR)
Reply #7 - May 5th, 2017 at 4:10pm

How interesting is it? Is it worth risking infestation for a common domestic wood.  Microwave small pieces and burn pile the rest.

One good turn deserves another miscut!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print