Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wet/Green wood storage (Read 243 times)

Leo De Bruin

Turning pro as soon as
I retire

Wet/Green wood storage
May 6th, 2017 at 11:16pm

I am in the process of rough turning a bunch of really wet/green Birch. I have some half rounds sitting on  end on a concrete floor. When I pick the half rounds up to turn them I am surprised how much of a wet mark is left where they were sitting. Now thinking about the structure of the wood I am wondering if it would be better to store my whole pieces standing on end? I typically stack my whole pieces as one would stack firewood.
Any thoughts on this idea?

IP Logged

Anthony Gomez

WR Rocks!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
USA

Re: Wet/Green wood storage
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2017 at 8:07am

I have not had a lot of luck with rough turning , and sealing the end grain and preparing birch blanks here in Oklahoma - you are sealing the end grain correct? They always seem to split on me - I prepare them as a whole log - and yes they seem to be ultra wet - I might try to rough turn than as thick bowls to dry

IP Logged

robert baccus

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2017 at 10:18pm

I greatly prefere to twice turn wood that is green for obvious reasons.  For storage I keep the wood on the ground endways and keep them covered completely with a plastic tarp and water them weekly.  Stops splitting  and you get some spalting as a bonus.  Check them often as the difference between spalt and rot is about 2-3 weeks.  For longer storage they go in water--moma's lily pond or a child's play poor.  Wood will last forever in water OBTW.  I also endseal bowls and the outside of vases/urns after roughing out with almost no loses due to splitting ect.

IP Logged

Leo De Bruin

Turning pro as soon as
I retire

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2017 at 3:33pm

Anthony- I thought I would pass on my process of turning/ drying birch so it is usable.
So what I do is rough turn it to a wall thickness of about 10% of bowl diameter. I try to do this as soon as I can after getting wood home so blocks don't have a chance to start to check.  After Rough turning, I mark the date and bury the green blank in the wood shavings(wet). I do a whole bunch of blanks(50-100) usually this time of year as it is not real warm outside yet.  Every few days I dig all of the rough outs out of the shavings pile and then I mix the all the shavings up with my scoop shovel and then re- bury the rough outs in the dryer shavings. The reason I do this is the shavings on the outside of the pile dry pretty quick but the shavings deeper in the pile take awhile.  I do this for a couple of weeks or until the shavings feel dry and the rough outs don't feel wet on the outside. The rough outs now go up on my mezzanine for a couple of months or longer depending on what I am doing. If the rough outs are too slow up on the mezzanine around 11%MC I take them into the basement and they spend a week or so there. My ultimate goal is to get the rough outs MC down under 9% before I finish turn/sand/apply finish. Hope this works for you!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print