Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
fractal Lichtenberg wood burning (Read 800 times)

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Re: fractal Lichtenberg wood burning
Reply #15 - May 25th, 2017 at 6:17pm

The arrogance of the AAW administration to make such a statement is disappointing. In light of the many dangerous activities that turners face with unknown inclusions and the real potential for injury from flying objects, they should quit posting the artistic dangerous woodturnings as well if they are truly interssted in safety.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #16 - May 25th, 2017 at 6:26pm

Bert Delisle wrote on May 25th, 2017 at 6:17pm:
In light of the many dangerous activities that turners face with unknown inclusions

I tend to agree, it does seem like a bit of a knee jerk reaction but that's just my opinion.
The funny thing is that with electricity, there are cold hard facts about what will and won't happen.
With woodturning you never know what you're going to get manipulating a natural product. Every piece of wood is different.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #17 - May 25th, 2017 at 6:54pm

My point exactly Ed, with the electrical hazards so easily identified and the mitigations very easy to implement, a stronger message that speaks to education rather than exclusion would serve the audience much better.  My opinion.
We all are responsible for our own safety.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #18 - May 26th, 2017 at 4:03am

in today's world that very often appears to have a lack of common sense, i am more worried that the AAW announcement that fractal lichtenberg is forbidden will be answered with a increase in people trying it out. 50 years or so ago, the words "do not try this..." was taken as a good warning. today, too many people consider this warning a challenge.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #19 - May 26th, 2017 at 8:25am

I have a feeling you're right Dave.
I'm of the same thinking as Bert on this, it's striking to me that the decision (reaction) was to ban rather than educate. Which only adds to the allure of the "forbidden art", which feeds right into your concerns.
They definitely didn't treat this in the same manner as when a turner gets injured. When that occurs, they double down on the safety for a month or so. Then slowly, we all collectively let it slip into the background until another accident happens and the cycle repeats.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print