Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problems with Delta Midi 46-460 (Read 252 times)

Melvin Rowe
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Delta mid sized
Problems with Delta Midi 46-460
May 12th, 2017 at 8:43am

I'm new here and having trouble with my Delta Midi. I've searched the forums and haven't found anything similar posted in the past.
The lead screw will not stay in the quill in the tailstock. When I turn the handle to tighten the live center onto the piece of wood, the lead screw backs out instead of moving the quill forward and putting pressure on the wood. I have fooled with this thing for days and haven't figured out a solution yet, and there is nothing about it in the owner's manual.  Any help is appreciated.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Re: Problems with Delta Midi 46-460
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2017 at 12:37pm

Hi Melvin. Have you taken the handle off yet? If its anything like my old Delta, remove the nut and then Un-thread the handle off the shaft that its on and you can pull the whole unit out the front of the tailstock. Might be some sort of stop broken off. The handle shaft should not come out the back end!
Geo.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Moderator

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #2 - May 12th, 2017 at 2:41pm

Melvin, my lathes are not Delta.   They have a pin, screw, or clip that prevents the drive thread from backing out.   

The only times it really wants to do so is when there is a problem with the tailstock sleeve (which holds the morse taper tools) from moving freely, or the retaining/locking screw is not engaging properly. 

Removing, cleaning and lubing the sleeve is a good place to start. 

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - May 12th, 2017 at 3:01pm

Ken Vaughan wrote on May 12th, 2017 at 2:41pm:
They have a pin, screw, or clip that prevents the drive thread from backing out.

+1
Disassemble and inspect, I suspect you'll find a a groove, hole or some area where a retaining device should be.
I believe Delta uses a C-clip or C ring clip.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #4 - May 13th, 2017 at 8:20am

George Stratton wrote on May 12th, 2017 at 12:37pm:
Hi Melvin. Have you taken the handle off yet? If its anything like my old Delta, remove the nut and then Un-thread the handle off the shaft that its on and you can pull the whole unit out the front of the tailstock. Might be some sort of stop broken off. The handle shaft should not come out the back end!
Geo.

I had the same lathe and agree with the above statement.  What happened to me is I put it to far forward and it came off the screw, but before I rescrewed it back in I put some Molly grease on it.

It is always the right time; To do the right thing

IP Logged

Melvin Rowe
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Delta mid sized
Reply #5 - May 13th, 2017 at 9:41am

The entire assembly does come out of the back. The exploded view I found online doesn't show a c clip, but I picked one up at the hardware store.  The tailstock is working now, although I suspect the single c clip may be a bit thin to hold a lot of pressure.  Maybe 2 or 3?  Anyway, I'm back to turning now.  Thanks, guys! Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Moderator

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #6 - May 14th, 2017 at 10:05am

Glad you found a fix. 

There are kits of c clips for sale that may be worth acquiring.  Most on Amazon are in the $8-$12 range with stainless kits running a few dollars more.   Axle clips are thicker than the ones which use ring pliars to install and remove.

For me that moves the problem to finding the kit when I have not used it for a few years.

Happy turning!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print