Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tool Rest For Bowls For Jet Mini (Read 383 times)

Bill Splaine
WR Noob

Santa Rosa, CA, California, USA
Santa Rosa, CA
California
USA

Older Jet Mini 1014 (not vs)
Tool Rest For Bowls For Jet Mini
May 18th, 2017 at 2:50pm

Again, I'm new and looking for advice.. came to the right place.. correct?

I have a Jet 1014 Mini lathe and I'd like to begin turning some small bowls.  I've only turned one recently and with a LOT of help from a bowl turner.  He loaned me a curved tool rest that went to the inside of the bowl and followed the contour pretty well.. that kept the cutting edge close to the rest.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on what to get.. If you have tried more than one, it would be great if you would share why you like the one you use best.  I'm currently looking at a set from Penn Industries, IIRC.  They are round bars with support.  They also have a set of three T shaped rests that look good and the price sure looks right.

Thank you

Santa Rosa, CA (NorCal)
Interests: Woodturning, Wood Carving, Pyrography

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Re: Tool Rest For Bowls For Jet Mini
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2017 at 5:20pm

Bill,

I have turned many a bowl.  I too, early on, thought that a curved bowl rest would help me to get that "never needs sanding" finish. 

I was wrong.  Getting those finishing cuts that have no grain lifting and no tear-out  come from technique and sharp tools.  I humbly recommend that you invest in a good sharpening system, classes from your local AWA related club. 

As far as the tool rest goes, I use a robust straight rest.  These have a hardened round edge that allows me to smoothly run my tools along the top edge.

Good Luck Bill! - PS - complete your profile so that we know your location.  There may be a member nearby you that can offer some support or invite you to the local "vortex" meeting (AWA members).
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2017 at 5:22pm by Tom Coghill »  

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2017 at 6:13pm

Hi Bill,

I have a Jet 1014 vs.  Good lathe but on the light side for bowls. 

My largest on that lathe has been a 9 inch diameter segmented bowl about 4 1/2 in inches deep.  I can understand the challenges starting out.  I found that the deeper hollowing was done from the back of the lathe with best success and fewest contortions.

The question I faced was how many deeper bowls was I going to make on that lathe?   My answer was not so many (I go to the big lathe).

J rest is specialized and not used for much else than bowls.  5/8 tool post is not what you want when you move up.  Some of the smaller lathes are moving to 1 inch posts.  I did not get a J-rest for the jet. 

PSI is a knock off outfit.  They are good at it.   They are selling a hard rod topped set of rests for $70, which is the same price as a single Robust rest.   I have a mixed record with PSI.  50% works, and 50% does not get the outcome desired. 

That old line. --  you pays your money and takes your chances.

« Last Edit: May 18th, 2017 at 6:16pm by Ken Vaughan »  

IP Logged

Bill Splaine
WR Noob

Santa Rosa, CA
California
USA

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2017 at 12:42pm

Thanks folks
I'll try to find where to add my profile.

Santa Rosa, CA (NorCal)

IP Logged

Rick Caron
WR Supporter

So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2017 at 7:39am

I own 6 rests. The only 2 i use are the robust comfort rests.  All the others need sanding to get the nicks off them.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2017 at 7:45pm

Bill

You didn't explain why you would need a set of three straight tool rests - I only have 2 and can't imagine why I would need a third length.

If you want a curved tool rest, and after a couple years making a bowls I purchased a curved rest and found it very helpful for bowls more than 6" deep.  For shallower bowls the straight rest that came with my lathe is adequate.

IP Logged

Bill Splaine
WR Noob

Santa Rosa, CA
California
USA

Reply #6 - May 21st, 2017 at 7:33pm

Hi Don.  The three rests are because they come in a set of three.  I don't have much experience.. The Jet comes with an 8" and it has been a bit long for me to get in close on shorter pieces between centers.. with experience I may find it works even for that.. but for now.. I'd like a shorter one.  And for "longer" spindle turning I was thinking I wouldn't have to reset as much with a 12".

Santa Rosa, CA (NorCal)

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2017 at 1:29pm

My short rest is 6".  When I can't get close enough often I crank out the tailstock spindle so the tailstock doesn't interfere with the tool rest.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2017 at 3:01pm

Bill,  the 12 inch will likely turn  out to be a bit long on a Jet 1014.  But about 2 minutes with an angle grinder and cutoff wheel will make it a bit shorter.   And it does not need to be symetrical, so I shortened on the tailstock side and it works just fine. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print