Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
noise from lathe phase conveter (Read 413 times)

ALLAN KUNTZ

WR Rocks!

gull lake, Saskatchewan, Canada
gull lake
Saskatchewan
Canada

noise from lathe phase conveter
May 21st, 2017 at 10:48am

A high pitch whining just started on my lathe from the phase converter. The converter is a Delta VFD-M. The model number is VFD015M21A. Is there cooling fan in these units. It sounds like a fan squeal.i have taken the cover off and blown it out real well . Didn't help
    Any ideas
    Al

IP Logged

ALLAN KUNTZ

WR Rocks!

gull lake
Saskatchewan
Canada

Re: noise from lathe phase conveter
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2017 at 1:34pm

Just found out that this is a VFD. Does that help trouble shooting
Al

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #2 - May 21st, 2017 at 9:07pm

Allan,

Never worked with the Delta VFD.  I have Cutler Hammer which does have a cooling fan that runs when the drive is powered up and for a minute or two after the power is switched off.

Another VFD on an air handler has the whinny cooling fan running as long as power is available to the unit.  Gets most annoying.

Yes, cooling fans are common.

IP Logged

ALLAN KUNTZ

WR Rocks!

gull lake
Saskatchewan
Canada

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2017 at 3:36pm

I have taken it apart as far as I am comfortable with. I found the fan and it does not spin freely by hand. I plugged it in and I would say the noise is coming from the fan.It starts as so as I turn it on and stops as soon as the fan stops spinning which is a bit after the the power is turned off. I assume it is supposed to keep running to cool things down. The connection for the fan is deeper in the box and will wait for the tech to show up
Al

IP Logged

ALLAN KUNTZ

WR Rocks!

gull lake
Saskatchewan
Canada

Reply #4 - May 24th, 2017 at 6:14pm

So I found the problem. When I opened up the cover exposing the VFD one of the mounting holes in the plastic case was quite broken. Well i guess after 4 years a small piece must have worked its way into the fan. I had tried to take the fan out but the wires were deep into the case so I waited for the tech to show. So when he did show up he told me to start it up so he could hear what it sounded like. Well after taking the fan out the pieces must have fallen out and it purred like a kitten. I felt like a fool. I have epoxied it back together as best i could. Kinda poor quality control but I suppose if you cant see it and it works that's good enough.  I just have to put everything back together and its back to turning

Al

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print