Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Turning Group Discussions (Read 653 times)

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: Turning Group Discussions
Reply #15 - May 28th, 2017 at 10:02am

And people like me greatly appreciate those more advanced in woodturning who are willing and able to share their time, understanding and experience for those like me further down the mountain.  So it's a privilege (and something of an obligation) to share my more limited understanding and experience.

IP Logged

Brad Barnhart

Sawdust Haven Woodworking

St. Francis, Kansas, USA
St. Francis, Kansas
USA

Harbor Freight 12" x 33 5/8"
67" home built lathe
BM-26 Hawk scroll saw
CW-40 Hitachi Scroll Saw
16" Craftsman Scroll saw
12"DeWalt Radial arm saw
8" Craftsman Tablesaw
Reply #16 - May 28th, 2017 at 10:06pm

my scrolling has helped me alot with turning. When I was first learning woodworking, scrolling, the machinery, I read a couple books on wood, & the different species. I use mostly hardwood in my scrolling projects because I can get the "look" I'm lookin' for. I very seldom use stain, or anything else but shellac & lacquer because it pulls the color & grain out of the wood that I like to be noticeable.

When I turn something, alot of times I don't have any particular design in mind. I just start in, keep practicin' my sharpenin' skills, & keep cuttin' until something shows up. I've got some projects I want to do, but I'm more worried about screwin' the project up, than I am just doin' it. That's where I need the "critiqing" Ed, & the courage, I guess, to just put the project together & spin it out & see what happens.

Sawdust703
Brad Barnhart/Sawdust Haven  
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #17 - May 29th, 2017 at 10:35am

This is going off topic Brad, but you might consider focusing on developing confidence using the roughing gouge, detail/spindle/detail spindle gouge, and skew (or whichever of these three you have) without too many tool marks and catches.  The roughing gouge is perhaps the most commonly used tool for making a piece of 2x2 into an approximately 1 1/2" diameter dowel.  The skew is great for removing roughing gouge tool marks, leaving a surface that would need little sanding.

The skew is also the tool to use to make V cuts. 

Then begin working on very gentle beads and coves, with either or both the skew and detail/spindle.  Build up to narrower beads and coves.

Knot free 2x2 framing lumber and poplar are both easy to work and relatively inexpensive wood for these exercises.

Then draw some simple combinations of straight, taper, fillet, cove and bead, perhaps some book exercises.  Transfer to a pattern stick, and work to the designs.

This approach, widely recommended in books and videos, will help you develop technique and confidence in increments, and identify areas for more work.  My thoughts.

IP Logged

Brad Barnhart

Sawdust Haven Woodworking

St. Francis, Kansas, USA
St. Francis, Kansas
USA

Harbor Freight 12" x 33 5/8"
67" home built lathe
BM-26 Hawk scroll saw
CW-40 Hitachi Scroll Saw
16" Craftsman Scroll saw
12"DeWalt Radial arm saw
8" Craftsman Tablesaw
Reply #18 - May 29th, 2017 at 8:02pm

Sounds like good thoughts, Don. I'll try it out. thanks for the advice! I appreciate your time & thoughts.

Sawdust703
Brad Barnhart/Sawdust Haven  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print