WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Stump Wood Care?
May 21st, 2017 at 5:03pm

About 15 yrs ago a huge oak tree in my back yard died.We had it cut down and it was firewood for a friend..I am putting up a building for my wife and the stump needed to be removed...There was still some good wood in it. (Small pieces that can be used in flute making)I have some pieces that had some spalting in it and it was still in great condition.What do i need to do to it for the time being???? Anchorseal?  Wasnt sure after it had been outside all these yrs.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Re: Stump Wood Care?
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2017 at 12:13pm

I have seen some spectacular stuff made from root balls and root pieces.  Root burr or root burl can be used to describe the grains (depending on the marketing flavor at the time).

My guess, given the time, is white oak marketing group wood, and being in the ground it has been mostly wet/damp.   

I treat roots as green trunk/branch wood.  Spalted is less critical as the fungi have changed the moisture movement structure, but spalting is less than uniform in many woods, and your description suggests that is the case.   

If the spalting heads towards spectacular punky, you might consider vacuum stabalization.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print