WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

PVC to Hose Connection
May 28th, 2017 at 7:51pm

I bought a piece of 4" sch 40 pvc and the fitting for this to 4" flexible hose.Looking at the pic it looks like the fitting foes inside the pvc pipe.To make this work I will have to sand and or remove some.I at first thought there was a burr on the inside edge where it was cut but it didnt matter ...still won't fit...Any ideas or suggestions.???

In my small shop I only need one piece...Its odd in our Lowes a 5' piece sells for $12.05...a  10' piece sells for $12.60..I see all there pvc is like that..

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: PVC to Hose Connection
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2017 at 7:58pm

If the PVC is on the impeller side of the connection I would expect the adapter would fit in the end of the PVC so material cannot catch on protruding PVC.

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #2 - May 28th, 2017 at 8:53pm

Your link shows a fitting made to fit into a DWV pipe and you say you bought sch 40 PVC. Different inside diameters for the two different types of pipe. That is most likely your fitment problem.

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #3 - May 28th, 2017 at 9:03pm

Robert Hayward wrote on May 28th, 2017 at 8:53pm:
Your link shows a fitting made to fit into a DWV pipe and you say you bought sch 40 PVC. Different inside diameters for the two different types of pipe. That is most likely your fitment problem.

On Lowes website they show sch 40 DWV as one and the same .?  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

On the pipe it says coex cellular core sch 40 dwv pvc
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2017 at 9:11pm by Mike Turner »  

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - May 28th, 2017 at 9:37pm

Don Stephan wrote on May 28th, 2017 at 7:58pm:
If the PVC is on the impeller side of the connection I would expect the adapter would fit in the end of the PVC so material cannot catch on protruding PVC.

I am having a problem getting the fitting into the pvc. Actually there is a piece of flex coming off of my thein separator which will hook to the fitting which will be hooked to the pvc

Yes that makes sense Don.It will almost go inside the pipe...just a tad small.
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2017 at 6:50am by Mike Turner »  

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - May 29th, 2017 at 10:22am

As mentioned above, Schedule 40 and DWV (drain, waste, vent) are two different pipes with different diameters and fittings and adapters.  The web page does use both but it is quite possible the person that created the web page did not know they are two different sizes and the fittings and adapters are not interchangeable. 

My suggestion is to make sure one end of the adapter works with your flexible hose, then take the adapter and your receipt back to the store and exchange it for one that has the same size on one end (to work with your flexible hose) and that the other end fits the same type of pipe you purchased, whether it is Schedule 40 or DWV.  Just to be safe, look at the printing on the pipe you bought and confirm that it is either Schedule 40 or DWV.

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #6 - May 29th, 2017 at 3:32pm

On the pvc it says  coex cellular core sch 40 dwv pvc.Thats all they have in pvc.They have some kind of black pipe and it is the same size but costs a lot more but fitting wouldnt go in it either.they didnt have any thin wall pvc or anything else..Id have no problem taking it back and maybe going to a plumbing supply store...

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #7 - May 29th, 2017 at 6:26pm

To my great surprise a bit ago I was in a hardware store and saw "Schedule 40" and "DWV" both on pipe.  I think the thin wall was labelled "DW" only.  If the store only sells "Schedule 40 DWV" then the fittings should work with the pipe.

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #8 - May 30th, 2017 at 2:29am

I see online they have 4" pvc sewer pipe and it is available in my store....gonna stop again today...It looks thin walled..

Yep on the pipe I bought it says sch 40 and DWV on the pipe but it wont quite fit in...If the sewer pipe isnt there or doesnt work I may try cutting a a sliver out ,slipping the fitting in and then clamp and maybe glue it in...One guy had done that on another website. (he cut 5/8" piece out)..Thanks guys!!!!

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #9 - May 30th, 2017 at 2:06pm

How about placing fitting in lathe and turn down to size wanted.

Glenn j.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #10 - May 30th, 2017 at 6:14pm

Glenn Jacobs wrote on May 30th, 2017 at 2:06pm:
How about placing fitting in lathe and turn down to size wanted.

Glenn j.

The fitting isnt thick enough to remove any...If I could do the inside of the pipe that would be great.....I did take my dremel and knocked the edge of the pvc down a little ....still no luck..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print