Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bandsaw tires and blocks (Read 676 times)

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Bandsaw tires and blocks
May 30th, 2017 at 11:13am

Going to get serious about tuning up my Jet 14" bandsaw. It has a riser block so my blade is 105".
My two main questions at this time is tires and guide blocks.
- Tires: from everything I have read so far it seems like urethane is the way to go. I see proponents for both rubber and urethane but the majority seems to believe that I would get better performance and longer life out of urethane. What brands of urethane tires have worked best for you? Do I have to be very concerned about the width of the tire? What about crowned tire vs flat?
-Cool blocks vs bearing blocks. I have bearing guides on my saw now. Where do these stand relative to cool blocks? I think I understand to concept of cool blocks but there still is friction. It would seem that bearing blocks would provide less friction although they would not lubricate as some say the cool blocks do.
If these two points should be separated into two posts let me know.
Thanks
Bruce

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Bandsaw tires and blocks
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2017 at 12:01pm

I have been using a set of Orange Urethane tires (don't remember where I bought them) for probably a dozen years or so. They work great with little wear.
Be sure to order the proper width
For "most all" 14" bandsaws of the type you have, a crowned tire is the only choice. The crowned tire works in conjunction with the tracking adjustment on your saw.
Guide bearings vs guide blocks is a Ford vs Chevy argument.
I prefer the bearing assemblies for the reasons you sighted. There is no need to lubricate the saw blade via the guide blocks.
There is friction with the blocks, which in turn creates heat. This is one reeason why many are made from ceramic to help dissipate the heatand use names like 'cool-blocks" . Wooden guide blocks are many times made from Lignum vitea or similar species. These woods will release some natural oils when heated by the blade friction and help to reduce said friction.
Either method works to "help" keep the blade aligned.
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2017 at 12:05pm by Ed Weber »  

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #2 - May 30th, 2017 at 1:00pm

Bruce

My experience with a Delta 14 and urthane tires parallels Ed's.  The original tires failed in in a few years and the urethane replacements have not failed.

I use roller bearings or Intura Designs for dry clean wood.   I use blocks for wet and/or dirty wood because they are easier to clean. 

I also use bimetalic blades on clean wood and cheap steel blades where rocks or other trash may be present.  One rock can trash a fancy blade quickly.

IP Logged

Bill Moschler

WR Rocks!

Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
Knoxville
Tennessee
USA

Nova
Reply #3 - May 30th, 2017 at 2:24pm

I do not know about tires.  I tried cool blocks on 2 different saws and did not like them. for me they did a terrible job of supporting the blade. I ponied up for a set of the Carter roller guides and have not been sorry.  It was a little expensive at the time but "darn well worth it" in the long run.  The blades stay sharper and last longer and cut better with the Carter system installed.  Unless you have a problem with the present  tires I would suggestive guides first.  My bandsaw is a 50 year old Delta.  I did have a big Jet at work at one time and it seems like it came with some sort of roller guides but I expect the Carter would be an improvement.  I just looked out of curiosity and Amazon has the Carter guides for the 14" Jet.
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2017 at 2:38pm by Bill Moschler »  

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #4 - May 31st, 2017 at 12:38pm

My Grizz came with rollers. When all else is trued up, my guides just barely touch the blade. Most times, do not touch blade. The biggest thing with my BS is to use sharp blades. When blades are sharp they do not wonder off as easily.

Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - May 31st, 2017 at 1:11pm

Based on Bill's comment I checked out the Carter conversion kit, the magfence, and the FAST system. I ordered new tires and am probably going to take it one step at a time. That is, try a new blade with the new tires and see what happens. However, the Carter products are intriguing, pricey, but intriguing.
My objective is to be able to accurately cut veneers, (sorry Ed), and do other resawing.
I may do some curve cutting but mostly resawing.
Any more thoughts on the Carter products?
Thanks
Bruce

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - May 31st, 2017 at 3:44pm

Bruce Kamp wrote on May 31st, 2017 at 1:11pm:
My objective is to be able to accurately cut veneers, (sorry Ed), and do other resawing

Cutting thin slices to be used as veneer is just resawing thin pieces, your saw doesn't know the difference. Your just trying to get me worked up  Cheesy

I haven't had any issues with the carter products I've purchased. I have a set of guide rollers and they work well. I believe they are easier to adjust now than when I bought mine. A new tension spring is also a good idea (depending on how old your saw is)

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #7 - May 31st, 2017 at 5:55pm

My old bandsaw, 25 or so years, and my new bandsaw maybe 15 years both have rubber tires. The new saw had a blade come off and a bit of the outside edge on the teeth side got chewed up, but they both still work fine. Have to scrape them off once in a while and even take some 120 grit to them to clean them off. If they ever wear out, I will probably try the urethane tires,

robo hippy

IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 9:02pm

Reporting progress. Put these tires on my Jet 14" and they fit perfect. No trimming and they run quiet. Also bought Carter mag fence and FAST system. Will report back on those later.

Sulpher Grove Tool Urethane Band Saw Tires 1 Inch Wide by 14 Inch Diameter Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print