Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Mold vs Spalting?
Jun 3rd, 2017 at 12:24pm

I just prepped some beautiful slabs of highly spalted maple and have begun my 'first' turning of them.  A couple of the pieces seem to have what appears to 'mold' speckling through the pieces.  Does this make the wood 'bad' as a future user piece or will this simply dry out and become inert?  I'd hate to lose this beautiful wood but thought I'd check first with those who possibly have dealt with this previously.

Thanks as always...John

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Mold vs Spalting?
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2017 at 12:46pm

Without getting into what determines a mold vs. a fungus and how spalting is caused.
"Typically" the wood requires a relatively high (in the 25% range) moisture content.
Once deprived of moisture these molds and fungi will die and not progress any further.
Without knowing what exactly your dealing with, it's hard to say.

If you have the ability (time) I would suggest monitoring it for grow or spread, hopefully there is none.

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2017 at 3:25pm

I agree with Ed, once dry it should stop and not hurt anything.  If it is interior I would suspect spalt not  mold.
This is Seri's facebook page (Dr. Spalt).  There are also websites and lots of articles by her on spalting as well as several turning club presentations on youtube.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2017 at 3:57pm

As always...thanks guys.

I've rough turned two pieces with one sealed and the other bagged...we'll see what happens in four or so months.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2017 at 5:20pm

"Bagged" - plastic or paper?  If plastic I would expect mold to grow willy nilly.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2017 at 7:11pm

Don Stephan wrote on Jun 3rd, 2017 at 5:20pm:
willy nilly.

I would have thought helter skelter,  Smiley

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2017 at 7:40pm

Brown paper grocery bag...I typically place the piece in the bag and then cover the piece with shavings.  Tape the entire bag shut with the date and type of wood.  I've had pretty good success with this method and will typically wait three to four months before finish turning.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

The Villages, Florida, USA
The Villages
Florida
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V, now with Stainless Ways
Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2017 at 3:12pm

I agree:

• When I cover green wood with plastic - it will mold. (looking like the photo below, sometimes black)
  • When I cover green wood with sealer - it does not mold.
  • When I cover green wood in only paper (3 wraps of brown shipping paper) it does not mold, but it has a higher chance of cracking (because it is drying faster).
  • When I cover green wood with its own shavings and put that into brown paper wrapping, I find that I get mold about 30% of the time.

These are my observations, nothing scientific about it.. so take these as just my $0.02  Thumbs Up

IP Logged

robert baccus

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jun 5th, 2017 at 9:36pm

Roger that Tom---spot on.

IP Logged

Ron Rutter

WR Rocks!

Port Alberni BC, British Columbia, Canada
Port Alberni BC
British Columbia
Canada

general 25m1 200
Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2017 at 11:37pm

I have done a lot of spalted maple & have not have a cracking problem. I did all to finish at the same time. The tree is basically dead. Do it in one stage & save yourself some time & trouble!!

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #10 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 6:51pm

Ron

My impression is that the majority of participants here twice turn bowls, but I've always made once turned.  I expect that even though the tree you are turning was dead, the moisture content still was high, especially if there were no checks and cracks under the bark.  At best in my area (Cincinnati) air dried wood probably goes no lower than about 12% outdoors, but should reach equilibrium at around 7% after several months in a conditioned space.

IP Logged

Ron Rutter

WR Rocks!

Port Alberni BC, British Columbia, Canada
Port Alberni BC
British Columbia
Canada

general 25m1 200
Reply #11 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 12:43am

Don. Surprisingly the wood was not that wet. It had a lot of solid wood but had been attacked by vines & mushroom/mycelium. It was very stable. A small portion was too punky.

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 11:27am

I have also found that if I include wet shavings from the wood, with the turning in a brown paper bag that I will get mildew.  Once mildew is in the wood, it is impossible to get it out.  Kind of like trying to get black mold out of your house Sad

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #13 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 6:28pm

Yes I agree over the years I have found what works the best for my area where high humidity is an every day thing. I never use green shavings anymore because they tend to cause different molds to grow. I coat my green turned bowls with anchor seal then wrap in brown packing paper for a month or so then remove the paper and put them on a higher shelf to finish drying. The paper does help to slow down the drying pace. The bowl will lose the majority of it's water the 1st month or so then slow drying will occur better without the extra layer of paper. Following these methods I never have mold period or spalting unless it had already started before sealing. Thumbs Up

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Steve Nicholson
WR Noob

Brookings, Oregon, USA
Brookings
Oregon
USA

Jet 14 x 42
Reply #14 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 9:56am

Wood is wet and if you store it in a cool dry place with no air circulation it will mold.  I turn a lot of spalted maple and myrtle wood, splatting is the beginning to decay; creates the color which varies by specie.  If the spalting has gone too far and the wood is soft I use a hardener after rough turning and sanding.  Wear a mask.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print