Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Drying European Olive Wood for Flute Making (Read 121 times)

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Drying European Olive Wood for Flute Making
Jun 3rd, 2017 at 7:47pm

I recently got some European olive wood. I am a flutemaker.These were still somewhat green.They were waxed when I got them.They were for the most 1 3/4" square by 32" long.....4 pieces of them.......Two of them I bored a 3/4" hole from one end to the other.I turned them until they were round which left the walls of the flute about 1/2" think.This was left thick and will be turned to flute size after it dries more...I anchor sealed them and  one i covered in sawdust in a long rectangular flower pot the other one I just wrapped a little paper bag around it...totally experimenting....The guy I got the wood from said this is an oily wood and not sure about moisture content in this wood...I have dried a bunch of green bowls of different woods and a few flute blanks...Only had one endgrain turned oak bowl that literally cracked into four pieces...very hard oak..Had a green oak flute blank that the end warped on but I did salvage it....I dont use a lot of oak.. Any suggestions on any part of this.? Ever use this wood for anything before? If I succeed in making some flutes from it I will post a pic! On some parts of the blanks I get a mc reading from 9 to 13 % others no reading...a cheap Lowes meter

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print