Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Piercing (Read 404 times)

Leo De Bruin

Turning pro as soon as
I retire

Piercing
Jun 3rd, 2017 at 10:56pm

I am hoping that this coming winter to start to do some Piercing on my turnings. I am curious to know what turners that are doing it now are using?

Thanx

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Re: Piercing
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 11:30am

Leo I do piercing quite a bit and will be glad to tell what I have used that will work. First if you are serious about wanting to do piercing and can turn to 1/8 thickness or a little less then a micro motor tool will work quite well for a limited area at a time. if you do an extended area at one time you take the risk of burning out your hand piece. You can find a saw tooth drill bit from Packard wood works at a reasonable price. A micro motor tool will run about 45,000 rpm's. If you can turn 1/16 of an inch or 3/32 then an NSK air drill is one of the best on the market I use it for my extensive piercings. It is expensive about $500. but runs at 400,000 rpm's. you can get a air dental drill from ebay much cheaper. but runs about the same rpm's. As to using a cheap slower drill type tool regardless of name brand if there is a will there is a way, but the small hand piece on the more expensive tools allows sooo much more detail to be cut more accurately than a thicker dremel type. Hope this helps. Here are two examples using different tools: The heirloom bowl top was pierced with a micromotor tool using the saw tooth drill bits from Packards.  The 20" platter was pierced with an nsk. I hope this helps you

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Leo De Bruin

Turning pro as soon as
I retire

Re: Piercing
Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2017 at 4:44pm

Thanx for the information Breck!  I will put it to good use this fall!

Keep posting pics so we all are motivated!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print