Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie needs help (Read 589 times)

Lyndle Gregory
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Newbie needs help
Jun 6th, 2017 at 5:32am

I just began wood turning. When I attempt to turn a spindle, My chisel does not make chips. Just very fine saw dust. This is a brand new chisel and using soft pine. It is very hard to cut. . Is the chisel my problem on the speed of my lathe?

IP Logged

Chris Neilan
WR Addict

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Re: Newbie needs help
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 6:09am

The problem may be technique or it may simply be a chisel that needs to be properly sharpened. Is the tool rest at the proper height so that you are cutting at the centerline? Too high or low and you loose effectiveness.  What tool are you using? A carbide, skew, or gouge?

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

Matt Perrult

WR Rocks!

East berne, USA
East berne
USA

JET
Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 6:40am

I second that your chisel might not be sharp. A lot of tools come with an EDGE but are not sharp per say. I think this may be one of the main reason people get into turning then loose interest. One of the first things you should buy in a decent grinder and learn to sharpen your tools by hand or get a jig.

You will pleasantly surprised what a sharp tool will do and how much easier to turn it is.

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 2:23pm

You also need to consider what kind of wood you are turning.  Extremely hard wood with dull tools is prescription for  frustration and dust.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 6:56pm

There can be one or more additional causes, for example using the tool as a scraper.

Three suggestions.  First, search on the Internet to see if there is a local woodturning group in your area.  In almost every case, the group has many members happy to mentor new turners and the group may even offer low cost introductory and intermediate turning classes.  Second,  while some Youtube videos can show inefficient or even unsafe practices, there is a video section on this web site where all the videos have been previewed so you can watch with confidence.  Third, there are some truly excellent book/video combinations that can be helpful for years.  My favorites are those by Richard Raffan - I've watched each video at least ten times and still pick up something of interest every time I watch, and I refer back to the books constantly.

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 9:13am

Since I have done this a couple of times, make sure the lathe is not turning in reverse.  It has to spin toward you.

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 9:13am

Since I have done this a couple of times, make sure the lathe is not turning in reverse.  It has to spin toward you.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 10:16am

You can't beat a hands on session for learning. This is where the nearest local woodturning club comes in really handy, depending on where you are. I think all clubs have mentors, and like me, we get as much fun out of teaching as we do turning. There are 2 good clips up on You Tube, one by Alan Batty, and one by Richard Raffen. Both are masters. They will help a lot.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print