Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Little rant from recent art show (Read 859 times)

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Little rant from recent art show
Jun 12th, 2017 at 9:47am

I was a small art show this weekend and something that I've noticed came to the forefront again.  If you're a turner and you come in my booth, I'm glad to visit with you and answer questions, but please remember I'm there to sell my wares, not give lessons. 

Please don't stand in the middle of the booth entrance to visit, blocking others from coming in.  I had several turners stop by and I could not get away from them.  I had to lead them to the side and a even hold my hand up and say "Excuse me for a moment!" to answer a question from someone with a bowl in their hand.  A couple of minutes isn't bad, but when it stretches out to 15-20 minutes, well...

When I've stopped by other artists booths and visit, I'll stand to the side and if someone comes in, I'll tell the artist thanks, good luck and I'll talk to you later.  Then slip out.  This also happens with other people that come in and want to visit (I had this once at the end of the show as we were starting to pack up and really thought he was going to buy something because he picked up several things and asked buyer type questions and after 20 minutes, left).

Thanks for letting me vent.  How do you handle situations like this?

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Little rant from recent art show
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 11:28am

Bill Neff wrote on Jun 12th, 2017 at 9:47am:
How do you handle situations like this?

Well, since you can't teach the masses common courtesy, you have to have a firm hand.
Some may think you're being a jerk but if you don't confront the situation, it will persist.
You are after all, there to sell not socialize.
Sometimes something as simple as booth layout can help. Having an area where someone can go to the side and talk without blocking the merchandise from view or you from your potential customers.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 8:44pm

It seemed to me, that half the people who stopped in my booth were other woodworkers. Can't think of one that didn't get out of the way when a customer came into the booth. Some people ain't got no manners though...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Leo De Bruin

Turning pro as soon as
I retire

Kitwanga, BC, Canada, Canada
Kitwanga, BC, Canada
Canada

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 7:10pm

I don't mind other woodworkers stopping to chat but if someone  who comes in looking at my turnings I leave the "chatterer" abruptly and go and help out the potential customer. The chatterer has usually wandered off before I get back to them and I have no remorse at all

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print