Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pepper Grinder finish (Read 263 times)

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Pepper Grinder finish
Jun 15th, 2017 at 7:55pm

I just turned a pepper grinder out of Cherry and used a product called Hut Crystal Coat to put on as a finish. Trying for a high gloss. It has a slight gloss but not what I thought it would give. Has anyone used this and gotten good glossy results? Am I applying it wrong? Instructions say apply a drop and spread evenly with the lathe off and then friction polish it with the lathe running? Its inexpensive compared to others but will it do a good job. Thanks much, Geo.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: Pepper Grinder finish
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 6:20pm

Do you know the ingredients of Hut Crystal Coat?

IP Logged

Steve Arnold

WR Rocks!

Burbank, California, USA
Burbank
California
USA

Jet 1640EVS
Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 7:20pm

If you're looking for a tough durable glossy finish, I've had good luck with this stuff.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Steve Kniffen

WR Rocks!

Clyde, Texas, USA
Clyde
Texas
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 9:51pm

Hut Crystal Coat is primarily a pen finish.  A drop or two will build up to a good finish on a pen, not so on a pepper mill.  It is a combination of shellac, wax, and some petroleum products to keep it in solution until the heat from friction dries them.  It's a great pen finishing product.

I poly all my pepper mills (outside only).  I usually use 4-5 coats on them until I get the look I want.

Experience is what teaches us that we've made this mistake before ...

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 2:18pm

Thanks on that guys. Steve, do you use the water based too? or the smelly kind.
Geo

IP Logged

Steve Kniffen

WR Rocks!

Clyde, Texas, USA
Clyde
Texas
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 9:08pm

I use the smelly kind most of the time.  I've dabbled with the water based but never used much of it.

Experience is what teaches us that we've made this mistake before ...

IP Logged

Richard Beecher
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 10:26am

I have used rattle can lacquer as well as thinned brush on lacquer with pretty good results. One issue I have found with lacquer is that while it is basically a very hard finish it can also be very brittle. I dropped one of my mills one day and though it only fell a few inches onto my work desk, it landed on the bottom edge and chipped the lacquer enough that I had to resand and refinish the bottom half of the mill.

I have also used a number of different friction finishes, walnut oil, CA. but wasn't totally satisfied with the results.

After a lot of trial and error I have settled on Waterlox. If I want a semi gloss finish I use just the Sealer/Finish. For gloss I'll use the High Gloss over the Sealer. As with most any type of oil finish, Waterlox can be a time consuming process. But, in the end I'm extremely pleased with the results despite the high cost for that brand.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print