Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I often got cracks in my projects (Read 2,137 times)

Ralph Schipper
WR Noob

Just put some wood in
the lathe and turn turn
turn

Twente, Netherlands
Twente
Netherlands

I often got cracks in my projects
Jun 16th, 2017 at 7:34am

Hey people,

just yesterday, I've turned a small bowl, I sanded it til 400 grid, and used danish oil and friction pollish.

I was verry pleaseed with this, it was very smooth,
This morning I found a little crack in the wall of the bowl.

I've heard that there are people that put they're projects in a microwave to prevent cracks.

Is this true?
Do I need a rough turn and put it in the microwave and then finish the bow?

I also had this with other projects, like lidded boxes and mushrooms.

when I've finished my project, it's fine and later I see cracks.

Is this something that you guys say: "well that's the thing about wood, to bad, but it happens " ?

I consider myself as a patience man when it comes to woodturning, but some people say that it can take years to completely dry the wood so you don't have cracks. I don't have thát level of  patience Smiley

how do you guys handle this?

See my finished projects on google drive:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: I often got cracks in my projects
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 9:09am

You covered a lot of ground in your post.
First of all, is this with all your wood or a certain species more than others?
Do you have any idea of the Moisture content before you start turning?
Where do you work? The ambient humidity can play a factor in the cracking. Do you move it from a humid shop to a dryer house as an example.
How thick or thin are the cracking pieces.
Any additional information along these lines can help determine the cause or causes of the cracking.

IP Logged

Ralph Schipper
WR Noob

Just put some wood in
the lathe and turn turn
turn

Twente, Netherlands
Twente
Netherlands

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 10:16am

Ed Weber wrote on Jun 16th, 2017 at 9:09am:
First of all, is this with all your wood or a certain species more than others?

It's hard for me to recognize what type of wood I have, but I think I have some Beech, Oak, and Apple and Birch, But I havent payed attention what type cracks the most

Do you have any idea of the Moisture content before you start turning?

no sorry not really, A part of my wood collection is from the woods/forrest, so probably lots of moisture.
Well some of the wood is very dry and that doesn't crack.

How thick or thin are the cracking pieces.

I think 1 maybe 2 millimeter width

and the length Varies between 2 to 80 millimeters

Where do you work? The ambient humidity can play a factor in the cracking. Do you move it from a humid shop to a dryer house as an example.

I don't think that there is a big difference between my work shed and my house

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 1:37pm

"I think 1 maybe 2 millimeter width

and the length Varies between 2 to 80 millimeters"

Ok... i think there might be a problem here.

I happen to have a metric tape measure on my desk and 2 millimeters is about 1/32" thick and a length of 2 millimeters (again 1/32") to 80 millimeters (3 1/8") means someone is seriously wrong in their measuring system or you are working under a microscope. Shocked

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Ralph Schipper
WR Noob

Just put some wood in
the lathe and turn turn
turn

Twente, Netherlands
Twente
Netherlands

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 3:14pm

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Jun 16th, 2017 at 1:37pm:
means someone is seriously wrong in their measuring system or you are working under a microscope.

Ehhmmm I don't need a microscope to see a crack of 2 mm in width
I take a look at mij piece of wood, I see the patterns of the wood, and BAM! one straight vertical line, that's a crack. Ain't that hard to see.

We don't deal witch inch and feet here in Holland.
Uncle Google says:
2 millimeters =
0.0787401575 inches

I have no clue what that means, but if I take a look at my measuring tape, 2 little stripes means 2 mm, not a big deal here Wink

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 4:32pm

Ok...Ed asked you how thin the PIECES of wood are, not how wide the cracks are.. thus my post.

Based on that, you can see how I thought you were working under a microscope. Grin Grin

So... how THICK is the wall of the pieces that have these cracks?

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 6:19pm

Don't know your background so I'll include some background. 

The growth center of the tree (the pith) is hollow and considered somewhat unstable.  Cut down a living tree, slice off a 1" thick disk from the log, and almost immediately a few short cracks will appear radiating out from the pith.  If the pith, or even wood within 15-20 mm ( just under 1")  is included in a bowl cracks are likely.  Hence the general rule to stay 25 mm or 1" away from the pith when roughing out bowl blanks.

As green wood dries, it shrinks more along the growth rings (tangentially) than across the growth rings (radially).  So when a green tree is cut, the exposed ends begin showing shrinkage cracks almost immediately.

Cut down a tree that's been standing but dead for a couple years and you might not notice any cracks in the end or under the bark, but turn into a bowl and cracks often will show up as the inside is hollowed out because they were already present, just not noticeable.

Turn a piece of green wood (was alive when cut) and often the spinning wood will sling sap on you - there is a lot of water in the wood, depending on the species of tree.  As the wood dries, even on the lathe while the bowl is being turned, that differential shrinkage mentioned above is taking place.

Turn the outside of a bowl  in a short period of time and the shrinkage may not be noticeable - the center of the bowl is still present and the wood  can't bend.  But turn the outside, leave the lump uncovered while you have a long lunch, and when you come back there may be some new shrinkage cracks.  I keep a few plastic grocery store bags in the back pockets of my turning smock and cover the work if I am interrupted for even a few minutes.

After finishing the outside of a green wood bowl, hollow the first 25mm of the inside of the bowl, taking the wall down to say 6mm or 1/4".  Now hollow the next 25mm of the inside of the bowl, then check the top of the wall - likely you will find the top of the rim is no longer perfectly round - the differential shrinkage has already started to bend or warp the wood.

Finish turning a green wood bowl and leave on a table for a couple days.  Likely the rapid drying created more stress than the wood could accommodate by bending, and the bowl has cracks.

As soon as I finish turning a green wood bowl I record the weight on the tenon and place the bowl in a paper grocery bag on the concrete floor so it will dry slowly.  Each week I note the weight and when the weekly loss is less than 2% I move the bowl in the bag up onto a table and continue weighting weekly.  When the weekly loss is again less than 2% I remove the bowl from the bag and continue weighing weekly.  When the weekly loss is again under 2% I consider the bowl dry enough to sand and apply finish.

If the wood has a reputation for cracking as it dries, I'll put the just turned bowl in a double paper bag to slow down the rate of drying.  Still occasionally have a crack, but not very often.

A thicker wall is more likely to crack because it's harder for the wood to bend and relieve the differential shrinkage stress.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Ralph Schipper
WR Noob

Just put some wood in
the lathe and turn turn
turn

Twente, Netherlands
Twente
Netherlands

Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 1:30am

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Jun 16th, 2017 at 4:32pm:
Ok...Ed asked you how thin the PIECES of wood are, not how wide the cracks are.. thus my post.

Based on that, you can see how I thought you were working under a microscope. Grin Grin

So... how THICK is the wall of the pieces that have these cracks?

Hahaha Allrigthy then  Grin
I was confused, I thought "Man you don't need hawk eyes to see a 2 mm crack"  Smiley

Well that was a funny misunderstanding, at least I start this morning with a laugh.

ok back to the question about thickness of the PIECE:
  • one small lidded box has a crack on the wall, and the wall is 8mm thick
  • one lampholder has 2 cracks and the thickness of the wall is about 28mm
  • another lidded box has 2 cracks, wall thickness about 15mm
  • I turned I think 35 mushrooms or so and almost all mushrooms are still crack free, only one has a crack in the hood, that hood is about 6mm thick, but the foot of that mushroom is 3 mm thick and has no cracks at all

so the thickness of my work varies

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ralph Schipper
WR Noob

Just put some wood in
the lathe and turn turn
turn

Twente, Netherlands
Twente
Netherlands

Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 1:38am

Don Stephan wrote on Jun 16th, 2017 at 6:19pm:
Don't know your background so I'll include some background.

I don't have much background about wood behavior.
I will/need to read this a few times, to understand.
Thank you Don for your explanation

IP Logged

robert baccus

WR Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jun 18th, 2017 at 9:56pm

Buy a can of endseal  (artisan from craft supplies).  Turn your green wood bowl walls to 1/10 the roughed out bowl diameter and use the endseal everywhere. Put it on the shelf for 3-6 months.  Then remount and return, sand and finish. Don't fight the crack game especially with purty or expensive wood.  Hurry the game and it will crack.

IP Logged

Ralph Schipper
WR Noob

Just put some wood in
the lathe and turn turn
turn

Twente, Netherlands
Twente
Netherlands

Reply #10 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 2:44am

robert baccus wrote on Jun 18th, 2017 at 9:56pm:
Buy a can of endseal  (artisan from craft supplies).  Turn your green wood bowl walls to 1/10 the roughed out bowl diameter and use the endseal everywhere. Put it on the shelf for 3-6 months.  Then remount and return, sand and finish. Don't fight the crack game especially with purty or expensive wood.  Hurry the game and it will crack.

ok I will take a look at that,
But what about microwave?
some people say that you kan put your bowl in a microwave if it fits of course.
Is that a good idea?

IP Logged

Bob_Macgregor

Round wood.  Sharp steel.

Reply #11 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 8:10am

The most recent bowl I microwaved cracked...though this may have been me impatiently overheating it...at least it didnt' burst into flames in the kitchen!

IP Logged

Ralph Schipper
WR Noob

Just put some wood in
the lathe and turn turn
turn

Twente, Netherlands
Twente
Netherlands

Reply #12 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 8:15am

Bob_Macgregor wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 8:10am:
The most recent bowl I microwaved cracked...though this may have been me impatiently overheating it...at least it didnt' burst into flames in the kitchen!

Yeah I've read that it's not a good idea to microwave the bowl at full trotle all at once.
you need to do that a few short times, when you microwave it when theres is no moist anymore then you get burn marks.

I don't have experience with that, it's what I've heard

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #13 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 3:45pm

Unless you want to buy your wife a new microwave do not use the one in the kitchen .
Some woods will stink it up, and there is no getting rid of the smell.
Better to pick one up at the thrift store for a few bucks for shop only use.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #14 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 7:41pm

One more thing to think about is if the pith is in the wood and it will crack around the pith

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print