Send Topic Print
Tool rest (Read 263 times)

Sonny Armintrout
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Delta 46-460
Tool rest
Jun 16th, 2017 at 2:22pm

Where should I align my tool rest center of work piece, 3/4 up or how should it be to turn wood?

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: Tool rest
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 5:52pm

To some extent, depends on the tool and how you are using it.  If you don't have a local turning group where you can watch and get hands on feedback, consider the many videos here at wood turner's resource.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Supporter

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 3:52pm

While everyone has a different thought on this.  For scraping...that is where the tool is perpendicular to the rest, you typically want the scraping edge to be at the mid-point of the piece.  As for goues, I like mine a little below the mid-line.  With tool 'tilt' the cutting edge ends up above center line.  With respects to skew work, I usually have my rest somewhere at about the top third mark of the piece.

All of the above is what I do and you'll find no two turners do it the same as you'll eventually find what works best for you.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 4:13pm

John

I thought the rest was to be above center so it will not catch and the scrapper has to be trailing downward?

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 4:47pm

This is another one of those things where some people have observed, taken notes, measured, etc, I have not
I adjust as needed for the cut.
My best advice is to experiment.
Start with the tool rest even with the center-line. Try a practice cut, raise, try another cut, lower, try another cut and so on.
This will be different for each tool you use, since each tools' cutting edge may be at a slightly different height about the rest. This is either due to the style of the tool, the size of the tool and/or how the tool is presented to the wood.
It doesn't take long before it becomes second nature to know where you want the rest for different cuts.
There is no single answer.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 4:55pm

With scrapers, you want them always at maybe level, but most of the time tipped down a bit. On the outside of the bowl, you want to cut at or slightly below center height. On the inside of a bowl, you want to cut slightly above center. With gouges, it depends on how you cut. If you drop the handle, you can have the tool rest at, or slightly below center. If you hold the handle more level like I do, then you want it pretty much on center. I think most will have it close to center height when turning the inside of a bowl.

With the skew, pretty much the same as gouges, though some tend to have the skew more flat on the tool rest and they have the tool rest above center height...

There are many more variations...

robo hippy

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Supporter

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 5:51pm

Hence the tomato - tomAto of turning...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print