Just trying to get good
at this woodworking stuff!

Westminster, USA
Westminster
USA

Yates American J-170
Me chuck is stuck!!
Jun 17th, 2017 at 7:39am

Hey all, im looking for some help with my lathe. I have a Yates American j-170. I am having trouble with getting the spur center (Hopefully thats right) out of the head stock. I have a Nova chuck that i am wanting to put on but cannot seem to remove the center. Anyone familiar with this lathe at all?

Thanks,
Mark

IP Logged

lloyd harner

WR Rocks!

littlestown, Pennsylvania, USA
littlestown
Pennsylvania
USA

Re: Me chuck is stuck!!
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 10:41am

i use a length of rod and light hammer blows from the back of the spindle (hitting the rod not the lathe spindle) taps out no problem most the time but some times it can take a bit of a wack (i keep my hand close to the spur so i can "catch" it)

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Devotee

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 10:43am

The usual tool for removing a spur center is a knockout bar.  If you don't have one, you can easily make one.  All you need is a length of steel rod with a diameter slightly smaller than the bore of your spindle - 3/8" is usually fine, but the bore does vary from one lathe to another.  Slip the rod into the outboard end of the headstock spindle, and snap it toward the tailstock - that should dislodge the spur center.

After removing the spur center, you may need to clean up both the interior of the spindle bore and the spur center morse taper.   Fine emery cloth should do the trick.

Finally, finsh the project by adding some bling to your new knockout bar.  Turn a wooden knob that will fit over the end, and then glue it in place with a little epoxy.

Louie

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 12:33pm

I'm not sure if that lathe has a hollow spindle, although you can still get manuals for it.
There are a few owners of these machines at the Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, they may be able to give you some information.
If you do have a hollow spindle, a knock-out rod is the preferred method.
here is a recent thread where another member was having the same issue with his machine. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Mark Thomas
WR Noob

Just trying to get good
at this woodworking stuff!

Westminster, USA
Westminster
USA

Yates American J-170
Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 5:48pm

Thank you all, that worked. I thought the rod i had was only to tighten the tail stock...goes to show you how new i am to this. Been scratching my head for a week until i found this forum. hahaha

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 7:23pm

In addition to this forum a local woodturning group can be a tremendous help for turners at all experience levels.  An Internet search for your area may help you find one.

IP Logged

robert baccus
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 9:58pm

First response in any " stuck" situation should be an overnite soak with "Liquid wrench" down here in the South.

IP Logged

lloyd harner

WR Rocks!

littlestown, Pennsylvania, USA
littlestown
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2017 at 7:19am

since down the road it could help some one if the spindle is not hollow a pickle fork might be the only other option. jsut random info thats all

IP Logged

Bill Moschler

WR Rocks!

Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
Knoxville
Tennessee
USA

Reply #8 - Jun 18th, 2017 at 8:14am

I had a lathe once that did not have a hollow spindle.  I drilled the spindle for a through hole so I could knock out the spur center.  For that lathe it worked fine.  It was a large diameter spindle.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print