Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Preferred Jaw Sizes...
Jun 18th, 2017 at 10:18am

Just curious...I have about 20 blanks of spalted maple I need to start working through and most are in the 12"-15" diameter and 3"-5" thick range.  What size of jaws do you typically hold pieces this size with?  I have a size and methodology that has served me well for several years now but like many of you, I'm always curious if there's a better and safer way, etc.

thanks...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Re: Preferred Jaw Sizes...
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2017 at 11:11am

Mine are almost always pragmatic so I stay with about 1/3 base to bowl diameter.  So for a 12" a 4" base or for 15" a 5" base.
My preference is a recess but I do use tenons also.  Sometimes I use both, roughing with a 100mm recess then final turning with my 70mm using a tenon.  Or roughing with the 70mm in recess then a 50mm tenon if the item is smaller.
That probably wasn't much help but it has not been a problem removing excess during the final turning.  I try to use the largest possible especially when green.  For example using the 50mm jaws there is 3X the amount of wood to break away in a recess as there is in a tenon.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Supporter

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2017 at 3:44pm

All depends on what jaws you have. I use my 50mm for anything that fits my 16 inch lathe. The more round and balanced the blank the better.

Glenn J.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #3 - Today at 9:58am

Most of the time I use my big Vicmark chuck. Jaws on it are about 2 5/8 diameter for the recess. Going over about 15 inches is a bit of a chore with some vibration issues, but it holds fine. Going bigger won't hurt at all. A recess is my finished bottom.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print