Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Preferred Jaw Sizes...
Jun 18th, 2017 at 10:18am

Just curious...I have about 20 blanks of spalted maple I need to start working through and most are in the 12"-15" diameter and 3"-5" thick range.  What size of jaws do you typically hold pieces this size with?  I have a size and methodology that has served me well for several years now but like many of you, I'm always curious if there's a better and safer way, etc.

thanks...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Re: Preferred Jaw Sizes...
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2017 at 11:11am

Mine are almost always pragmatic so I stay with about 1/3 base to bowl diameter.  So for a 12" a 4" base or for 15" a 5" base.
My preference is a recess but I do use tenons also.  Sometimes I use both, roughing with a 100mm recess then final turning with my 70mm using a tenon.  Or roughing with the 70mm in recess then a 50mm tenon if the item is smaller.
That probably wasn't much help but it has not been a problem removing excess during the final turning.  I try to use the largest possible especially when green.  For example using the 50mm jaws there is 3X the amount of wood to break away in a recess as there is in a tenon.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Supporter

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2017 at 3:44pm

All depends on what jaws you have. I use my 50mm for anything that fits my 16 inch lathe. The more round and balanced the blank the better.

Glenn J.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 9:58am

Most of the time I use my big Vicmark chuck. Jaws on it are about 2 5/8 diameter for the recess. Going over about 15 inches is a bit of a chore with some vibration issues, but it holds fine. Going bigger won't hurt at all. A recess is my finished bottom.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 10:39am

A few extra things to consider that the others brought up.
Are you going to use the tenon or recess (jaw size) as you finished base size?
How aggressively do you remove wood?
Using jaws with a larger capacity than necessary can help with vibration as well as leave enough extra material to refine the base after it is removed from the chuck. (reverse mounted and finalized)
IMO, For the size you mentioned I would use the 100mm jaws. A 70mm jaw would have enough holding power for that size but possibly be too small for the foot. A 50mm jaw  would only be recommended in recess mode, there is not enough wood in a tenon for the diameter you mentioned.
A 100mm jaw requires approximately a 3 1/2" tenon or 4" recess, this is more than enough holding power for those size blanks, even for coring them out.
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2017 at 10:40am by Ed Weber »  

IP Logged

Steve Nicholson
WR Noob

Brookings, Oregon, USA
Brookings
Oregon
USA

Jet 14 x 42
Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 4:00pm

I use Super Nova chucks with a 100mm jaw with a dovetail recess and support with the tailstock.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Supporter

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 3:55pm

Update...

I finished rough turning four of the six oak blanks this weekend and used my SN2 70mm jaws as that was the largest I have.  Supported with the tailstock, I didn't have any issues aside from a lot of staining that took some work to clean off.  I must say, it sure is different turning a 16" diameter blank that weighs at or about 30 pounds when I started off...like a gigantic fly-wheel.

That said...I did find a new Rustoleum rust remover product.  Smelled the same as other products I've used but this version comes in a gel and 'clings' better to the iron surface to be cleaned better.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 6:49pm

When the banjo or tailstock drags on the lathe ways, I spray some WD-40 on the ways and move the banjo and tailstock back and forth.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2017 at 1:13pm

The AAW and others say to make a tennon 40% of the bowl   Also some people say a tennon or inside dovetail and I have used both. 

Good luck on the turning and am envious about all the spalted maple.  Thumbs Up

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print