Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Maintaining Burnt Ring on Bowls (Read 688 times)

Ned Gatewood
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Maintaining Burnt Ring on Bowls
Jun 21st, 2017 at 8:30am

When using a wire to burn a ring around a bowl, by the time the bowl is completed, the black ring has lost its blackness and the grove has become filled with wax or buffing compound.  Does anybody have a solution for this?  I haven't had any luck with pens and ink and I can't re-burn the rings because I've usually removed the tenon an the means for returning the bowl. Thanks. Ned

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Maintaining Burnt Ring on Bowls
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:29am

After you burn the ring, seal it with poly or sanding sealer (your proffered finish). You want a surface on the burnt area that can easily be cleaned off/out after it get clogged with your buffing products.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

The Villages, Florida, USA
The Villages
Florida
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V, now with Stainless Ways
Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:40am

Ned - I suggest you try a different finish method and also be sure to clean that grove out when doing any sanding.

Look for General Finishes - I suggest you try their woodturners finish.  This is water based, so sanding after the first two coats will be needed (320 and 400 grit).  Build the finish for 4-6 + coats, sanding with 600 or 0000 steel wool until the final two coats.  Again, be SURE all dust is removed before applying a finish.  This water based finish dries quickly (after the first coat that I let go for a day).

I would suggest that you also make some soft chucks, a way to re-mount your bowl on the lathe without the need for a tenon. On the headstock side use a vacuum chuck like holder, on the tail use a soft touch. Thumbs Up

First two photos of a foam covered flat plate "chuck" for the headstock and the last two are of a "soft touch" that threads onto you tail live center.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 7:28pm

I burn it and sand it and just before putting the finish on I burn it again and just do 0000 steel wool and then finish.  Sometimes the finish does fill the burn area but I buff that out.

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print