WR Devotee

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Spindle steady design
Jun 26th, 2017 at 8:44am

I posted a question last night about knitting needles that triggered me to look into the various commercially-available spindle steadies.  The challenge with knitting needles is that they are very thin, and every steady has a specified minimum spindle diameter.

The figure illustrates the principle - when the three wheels are at their closest point, the space between the wheels defines the minimum spindle diameter that the spindle can hold (the red circle).  With three wheels, equally spaced (120 degrees apart), the relationship between that minimum spindle diameter (d) and the diameter of the wheel (D) is
     d = 0.1547 D
(and who said that high-school trigonometry had no practical use?  This is a direct consequence of the 'law of sines'.)

By the way, this assumes that the three wheels are in a plane.  It is theoretically possible to construct a steady where the three wheels are not lined up with each other, but that would require that the steady be wider when seen from the point of view of the turner, and the non-planar arrangement of wheels might be less effective in steadying the spindle.

The larger commercial steadies use skateboard wheels and typically are specified to hold spindles 1/2" and larger.  There are a few steadies (Grizzley, Wood River and CSUSA Apprentice) that use naked bearings as wheels and that are specified to hold spindles  as small as 1/4"; these are marginal possibilities for larger size knitting needles, but they clearly won't hold the really thin sizes.

So it seems that the only solution for a knitting needle turner is a DIY steady using very small wheels, or a string steady. 
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2017 at 9:07am by Louie Powell »  

Louie

IP Logged

David Moeller

Old chiseler

Linden, Michigan, USA
Linden
Michigan
USA

CONOVER 15 x Infinity
NOVA Comet 10 x 16
Delta 1440 (converted to VSR)
Re: Spindle steady design
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 9:39am

I hope this doesn't offend too many 'chisel purists' but medium grit sandpaper and the right speed can do wonders in situations like this. Light counter-pressure on the opposite side.

One good turn deserves another miscut!

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 11:58am

Louie, how about something like this!  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Devotee

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 12:25pm

Jeff - that's a bit long for a knitting needle.  Seriously, the steady might work except that the size needles my wife wants are so thin that there's little wood left to remove the burn marks left by the steady.

David - you are right - alternate tools are also part of the answer.  In the first post, I mentioned that I found a couple of YouTube videos on knitting needle turning in which the turner resorted to what looked like a machinist's file to finish turn the needle.  I tried that - it produced a good surface, fairly smooth and with uniform thickness along the length of the needle (due to the width of the file), but it was slow - faster than sandpaper (which I also tried) - but still quite slow.

Louie

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 12:58pm

This might make it go faster!!: Shocked

...tho you might have a bit more smoothing to do. Grin Grin

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Supporter

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 3:05pm

How about using only 2 of the wheels?

Glenn J.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 7:38pm

Louie

The French use a string steady rest

Gord makes it way different then the French but it does work

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print