WR Supporter

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Re: Sharpening
Reply #15 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 1:06pm

definitely need a grinder and wolverine setup. Get a fine grit stone for one side and a diamond dresser.

JMO
Glenn J.

IP Logged

Scott Ticknor

WR Rocks!

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #16 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 11:17am

Sharpening is part of the process of wood turning. One of the most enjoyable things for me is the sound of a recently sharpened tool as it cut through the wood fibers. Don`t put yourself at a disadvantage by only using carbide, go buy a grinder and a sharpening rig. There is so much information regarding sharpening on You Tube it boggles the mind.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #17 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:43pm

There is a longer learning curve with the Robo Rest than the wolverine system, but platform sharpening all the lathe tools is more efficient.  With the quick adjustment of sharpening angle on the Robo,  Rest I do not hesitate to touch up a tool as needed, and I sometimes use a number of gouges and scrapers making once turned bowls.

Red recently uploaded a new video on using the Robo Rest.

IP Logged

lloyd harner

WR Rocks!

littlestown, Pennsylvania, USA
littlestown
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #18 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:08pm

since i come from a knife makers background not a wood turner.  i have a belt grinder not stone or CBN wheel grinder
the ability to change belt grits for the type cut in wood or to repair a tool thats chipped is key
some times 800 grit will touch up a tool and other times you need a 50 grit.  you cann also get buffing belts
due to the kind of grinder ri have i have the option of hollow (wheel grind ether 5 or 10 inch wheel size ) or flat grind.   being   a newbie to turning i have found the flat grind more forgiving when rubbing the wood till you find the cutting edge

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print