New Lathe is Too Short (Read 373 times)

Will Martin
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Excelsior mini lathe and laguna 1836
New Lathe is Too Short
Jul 12th, 2017 at 12:18am

Hey y'all,

I just got my new lathe and dang is it beautiful. A laguna revo 1836 220v 2hp. Absolutely loving it after my excelsior mini lathe. Only problem is I'm 6' 2" and its now much lower than I'm used to with the bench top excelsior lathe. The kit to raise the lathe 3" is another $500. A bit more than I want to spend. By a bit, I mean a lot.

Can I just build a base out of 2x4s and raise the lathe up onto those, or some other better solution? Maybe a whole platform of 2x4s and plywood? I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Edit: is this the best thread for an inquiry like this?
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2017 at 12:21am by Will Martin »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chris Neilan
WR Supporter

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Re: New Lathe is Too Short
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 5:33am

Being 5'8" i don't have that problem! If i were to try and raise my lathe I would build a solid sub floor of 2x4's on edge, glued and lagged together to form one solid section. Make it a tad wider than the stance of the lathe. You don't want it bouncing and sliding off!

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

Glenn Roberts
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 6:51am

I bolted 2 4x4's to my Nova 1624 feet -  perpendicular to the bed, horizontal to the floor. Not the best solution because leveling is difficult. Chips have a way of getting under the 4x4's, and the swivel feet want to roll the 4x4. A 2x4 spanning the 4x4 locking them in will prevent the rolling. Or bolting the 4x4's to the concrete will also solve the rolling and chip issue, but the lathe would be less mobile. When the shop gets "settled" there will be no need for mobility. Maybe this will work for you.

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Patron

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 8:13am

You could also dig a ditch in the floor till you are at the right height!!! Shocked Shocked Grin Grin

Always happy to help!! Smiley

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Supporter

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 8:25am

I just looked at a pic of your lathe and it looks like, (A) there is no provision to screw the legs down to anything and (b) it has adjustable round feet.

Assuming these two things are correct, I would suggest you make a base of 4@ 4x4's. Lag them together.

Use a forstner bit to drill 4 holes into them shallowly so that the adjustable feet will fit into the holes. They don't need to be terribly deep, but it will hold the lathe in place on the base and still allow you to adjust the height.

I've not done this on a lathe, but I have done this on other machines and it works very well.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 8:33am

There are several solutions for this problem. It seems the manufacturers don't build lathes for people taller than about 5"-10"
You can build a base but if you ever want/need to move the machine for any reason it can become problematic.
There are locking casters, they lock the wheel from rolling as well as the whole caster from rotating. I've used these for years and the ones I use have performed very well.
There are Leveling Casters, these are HD casters with a built in leveling leg. Roll you unit into position and then level it all with one unit.

What ever you decide, leave yourself room for adjustment. Adding or changing even small things like a anti-fatigue mat can alter the height enough to where it becomes uncomfortable.
Start with the spindle at elbow height and go from there.

IP Logged

Ronald Black

WR Rocks!

Michigan, Michigan, USA
Michigan
Michigan
USA

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 8:47am

It's just my personal opinion, but the manufactures make the lathe and it is up to us to mount it at the right height. I have two lathes, one midi with it's own stand (adjusted to the rite height) and the other on a bench (also adjusted to the rite height). This works well as I am 6'-1" tall. I noted someone said they saw a picture that indicated no method of mounting, I personally would not work on a lathe not mounted securely down.  As I said this is just my opinion.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 9:33am

Ronald Black wrote on Jul 12th, 2017 at 8:47am:
I noted someone said they saw a picture that indicated no method of mounting, I personally would not work on a lathe not mounted securely down.

You bring up a good point

It sort of goes without saying that the larger capacity (swing) lathe, the more secure it needs to be. This can come in the form of physically attaching the machine to a bench or stand.
OR
This can come in the form of added weight.

IMO small (midi) lathes should be mounted to a solid bench. Although it does depend on what you're turning, I don't care for those midi stands.
A full sized lathe (floor standing) don't need to be permanently mounted but some considerations to what you're turning needs to be involved in the decision.
The larger the turning, the more secure the machine needs to be.
Lathes with cast iron legs/stands are more stable but IMO most still require addition weight. Any lathe that weighs less than about 400lbs can benefit from a few sand bags at the base.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 7:26am

I use a doubled up fatigue mat and got just enough. I taped them together and they don't move around.

IP Logged

Bob_Macgregor

Round wood.  Sharp steel.

Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 8:12am

The little feet are adjustable...I'm pretty sure they also can be removed, leaving a threaded through-hole which can be used to bolt the lathe down, if desired.

IP Logged

Bert Delisle
WR Devotee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Alberta
Canada

Vicmarc 300
Reply #10 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 9:50am

One could consider going to the Metal Supermarket and pick up some SBS box beam 4" x 6". Cut four pieces, one for each leg, and bolt the piece to the leg. This would give the choice of a four inch lift or a six inch lift. Much cheaper than the OEM lift just needs a little metal cutting and drilling.

IP Logged

Will Martin
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Excelsior mini lathe and laguna 1836
Reply #11 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 11:29am

Thanks for all the suggestions. I made a lathe stand with some material I had around and I'm going to see how that works first.

IP Logged

Steve Kniffen

WR Rocks!

Clyde, Texas, USA
Clyde
Texas
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Reply #12 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 5:48pm

I am 6'3 and have a Jet 1642.  Height was a problem.  I wanted it about 3 inches higher than it was.  My shop has a new, level concrete floor.  I took a 10 foot 2x6 treated wood and cut it into four 2.5 foot pieces.  I bolted these together into two 2.5' x 6" x 3" blocks using carriage bolts.  I removed the adjustable feet and screwed the two blocks perpendicular to the  lathe ways.  It raised my lathe the 3" I wanted and it added to the stability of the lathe as the blocks are longer than the distance between the front and back legs.  My lathe weighs over 400 pounds.  I've never had it walk away on me.  Now my back doesn't hurt either.

I think your lathe weighs about 475 lb.

Experience is what teaches us that we've made this mistake before ...

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #13 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 9:55pm

I used rectangular tubing.  Lathe legs bolted to the top of it, anti-vibration leveling feet bolted to the bottom side.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print