Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How Do You Dry Roughed Out Turned Lidded Boxes? (Read 248 times)

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

How Do You Dry Roughed Out Turned Lidded Boxes?
Jul 16th, 2017 at 12:43pm

Just before I started roughing out, from green wood, turned lidded boxes, (as shown in Richard Raffan's book and video), someone gave me an open back rattan bookshelf 22" x 12" deep x 72" high, 4 shelves. I've used it dry green roughed out lidded boxes, one row on each side of each shelf.  I've had few drying cracks, with only a couple inches between the front and back rows.  I haven't paid much attention to weight loss, and haven't made many finished turned lidded boxes from the blanks.  So I don't know if it is an effective drying rack.

It's full and was just given some cherry for more roughouts.  So I need to make another drying rack.

I'd like to ask how much air circulaton others allow between stacks, and whether some shrinkage cracks occur.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Re: How Do You Dry Roughed Out Turned Lidded Boxes?
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 9:41am

I put mine up on a wire shelf for good air flow. I either tape the top and bottoms together (think that tip came from Richard), or number them so I can figure out which to together. Mostly you want air flow around them. Already 'dry' wood is good in a month or three...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Mark Wallace
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Livonia, Michigan, USA
Livonia
Michigan
USA

Re: How Do You Dry Roughed Out Turned Lidded Boxes?
Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 10:51am

I tape the top and bottom together with the tennons facing each other. This leaves the hollowed out portions exposed to the air.  Then I just throw them on a solid shelf and forget about them.  When I get back to them they are dry because it's been a year or so.   Have not had any cracks develop when I make the sides about 1/2 inch thick. I am in SE Michigan.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print