USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
When to buff?
Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:40am

I have applied my final coat of Waterlox on a big sycamore bowl. The end grain on the sides was quite thirsty. I had to wet sand to remove some dust and air bubbles and want to buff it out with my beal buffing wheels. How long would you let it cure before buffing? Keep in mind that the relative humidity in Connecticut this week is about 90%!

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Louie Powell
WR Devotee

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Re: When to buff?
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 7:45am

I've never used Waterlox.  However, I do use a shop-made long-oil wiping varnish that I think is similar to Waterlox - it's made from a recipe in Russ Fairfield's extensive website on finishing that is presented immediately after his discussion of Waterlox in a way that causes me to think he was implying that it was very similar.

The experience I've had is that while the varnish appears 'dry' to the touch within an hour or so after being wiped, it actually takes longer to truly cure.  So I tend to wait several weeks before buffing.

Louie

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 8:17am

Way too many variables to guess.
You can always use the sniff test. Once there is no more smell coming from it, it's cured.
Or you could read the back of the Waterlox can or their website  Roll Eyes
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Cure time of Waterlox Original Tung Oil finishes.

Even though the recommended dry time is 24 hours, Waterlox Original Tung oil finishes completely cure in 30 - 90 days.

There are two basic steps to the drying and curing of a Waterlox Original Tung oil finish:

The first step is the evaporation of the solvent "carrier" system. The evaporation of solvent usually occurs in the first 2 - 4 hours with proper cross-ventilation techniques.
    The second step is the curing of the solids system, which is comprised of the oil and resin. The solids system completes 95% - 98% of its cure cycle in 7 – 14 days with proper ventilation; full cure, film hardness and chemical resistance properties are achieved in 30 - 90 days with continued adequate ventilation.

As discussed above, the solvent portion of our formula is gone within 2 - 4 hours of application with proper cross-ventilation techniques. After that, any odor that remains is likely from the Tung oil itself. Tung oil is pressed from the nut of the Tung tree and is not petroleum based. Although some may notice a Tung oil odor, it is not toxic1. To help determine the source of the odor, compare the odor you’re noticing to any denomination of US paper currency. Tung oil-based inks are used to print US paper currency and the odor will resemble the odor of the solids portion of our finishes.

1Tung oil is non-toxic and food-safe, although, Tung oil is pressed from the nut of the Tung tree which would be considered a tree nut oil. If you or someone who will be living with the finish has a tree nut allergy, consider whether or not this is a factor in finishing your wood project."

IP Logged

Richard Beecher
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 11:29am

I use Waterlox as my main finish for my pepper mills. I usually give them about a week of so after the last coats of finish before using my buffing wheels. No issues so far. I also finish up the process with Hampshire Sheen Gloss wax which give a slightly glossier finish than Ren Wax.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print