Send Topic Print
Help (Read 385 times)

Brian Dziewior
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Delta Midi
Help
Jul 21st, 2017 at 2:59pm

I have been turning for several years now and every now and again some of my pieces come out and they are not truly round.  I just turned a peppermill that when I turned the top on the base it was eccentric.  What is going on with my turnings?  I have a Delta Midi lathe and on the peppermill, I used a turned wood jam on one end and a center on the other end.  I turned them as one piece.  Thanks in advance for the help.

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Re: Help
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 8:42am

Be sure the head and tail stock are in perfect alingment.
If they are, you have a runout problem, and it could be any number of things from the bearings to the chuck.
There is a runout guage you can buy, or you can rig something up to see where it is coming from.

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 9:56pm

Brian, looseness in the jam chuck could cause that, or a tailstock center that is running out.  Or wood that is not completely dry.  Also the more sanding you do the more a piece will get out of round, IMHO....the face grain and edge grain don't sand at the same rate...this is even more pronounced if you have some end grain, as in a bowl.  Dull tools can do the same thing.  Misalignment of headstock and tailstock does not make parts out of round.

IP Logged

robert baccus

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 10:07pm

Brian, are you following your wood with your tool perhaps. This duplicates the wood shape--try turning rather fast and doing your finish cut with the point of a very sharp detail gouge.  If you hear a tic-tic you may be out of round and not know it.  Maybe.

IP Logged

Brian Dziewior
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Delta Midi
Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 8:46am

Thanks for the pointers. I will look at these things and see if it helps.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 7:27pm

You might consider looking for a woodturning group in your area.  This would allow you to show directly to other turners how you are making the mills, and likely turn one on another's lathe.  This forum is wonderful but some questions are difficult to address on a forum, compared to face to face with other turners.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print