WR Devotee

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Threaded boxes
Jul 22nd, 2017 at 8:27am

I've wanted to make threaded boxes, but have never mastered the art of thread chasing. I know it's possible to buy metal thread sets that can be glued into turned hollow forms, but they are expensive and the selection of sizes is limited.

There are many household items that come in plastic containers with threaded closures, so one thought is to try to recycle these containers, or at least the threaded closures, as threads for turned boxes.

I've made a number of pill bottles by redressing either commercial pharmacy pill bottles (the kind with adult-proof caps) or contact lens cleaning cases. I've also successfully cut off the top of a contact lens cleaning case to reuse only the threads to make a wooden bottle that is larger than the original plastic container.

But the problem is that this approach relies on gluing either the original plastic bottle, or the threaded portion of a plastic bottle, to the turned wooden container. And the glues we ordinarily use in wood turning (PVA, polyurethane, epoxy, and CA) won't adhere to some plastics.

And the application of Murphy's law in this situation is that to selection of bottle threads made in plastics that can be easily glued is rather limited. To get the widest selection of threads (and thread diameters) requires use of glues that will work with polyethylene or PET plastics.

So the question - what alternative glues or glueing techniques could be used to recycle the threads from ordinary mayonnaise and peanut butter jars made from polyethylene or PET plastics?

Louie

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: Threaded boxes
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 10:47am

I'm not a fan of plastic threads in turned boxes, the whole trick is to work slow, like 50-75 rpms.

That said there are pvc fittings that are around a buck a piece that are sold in big box stores where they sell bathroom plumbing

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Mike Nathal
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 11:57am

I would cut notches or keys into the plastic for the epoxy to flow into.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 12:00am

Louie

The Woodsmith magazine this month came up with a jig to make and put your router in to do just this.  If you can find the issue it will be well worth it.  I am just hoping someone will do one for me if I send the materials and some funds and I will send the article to them.

It is always the right time; To do the right thing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print