Send Topic Print
A New Start (Read 748 times)

Rick Lewis
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Delta
A New Start
Jul 24th, 2017 at 9:13am

Just returned to turning after 3-4 year break.  After a big move from CA to TX, finally broke out the lathe a couple of months ago and started messing with some firewood.  Challenge was finding a cheap source of wood for turning.  Well, once you start paying attention to trees coming down and others sources, there is an abundance of cheap, if not free wood.

After turning a lot of green cedar and oak, was looking for something a little more seasoned.  There was a firewood business a few blocks from the house that I had seen several large rounds of various woods (12" thick x 36" dia) that looked to be fairly old and seasoned.  Met the owner which turned out to be a really nice guy.  Asked him how much for one of the rounds and he replied "Hard to handle these big pieces, so happy to get rid of them...$2-$3 each would be fair".  I was shocked.  Then he follows up with "If you want, just come up with a chainsaw and cut the pieces out that you want if that would be easier and leave me a few bucks in my mailbox!"  I'm feeling like it must be an earlier Xmas in July, but it get's better.  We walk around and he shows me different types of oak, cedar (not so large), ash, cherry, and gum(?).  I'm telling him that anything having interesting rings or lines is always a plus and he says "Well then take a look at this!".  There stands a 4 ft tall, 4 ft dia burl/oak tree section that looks to have been sitting there for a few years.  I asked if I could cut on that also and he says "I wish you would...been trying to get rid of this thing for years and too big for me to handle.  There's another one over there.  Have at it".  Not only do I have a cheap variety of blanks, I have not one but two large burls for blanks at next to nothing.  Told him I would make him something special which I plan to do.

By the way, my name is Rick Lewis and I live in Central Texas with my wife and two daughters.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: A New Start
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 10:58am

Welcome to the forum, make yourself at home.
Be careful when using firewood. Typically, by it's intended use, it's left outside to dry naturally. This usually leads to cracking, which can be dangerous to turn. This is why most all turners use Anchor Seal or other similar sealing products on fresh cut wood to slow the drying rate and avoid the cracks typically associated "firewood".

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 2:23pm

Welcome, Rick.  make yourself at home.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 11:25am

Welcome from North Texas. There are several of us on here from Texas. You should be able to get Mesquite, which is nice. dark wood with good growth rings.

Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 2:10pm

Welcome form south central Texas!  Whereabouts are you?
Once you find Mesquite---hard to go back to the other woods.

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Rick Lewis
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Delta
Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 8:33am

Live in Belton, TX....About 45 minutes north of Austin on IH-35.

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 12:13am

Ahh, nice.  Grew up in that area, lived out by Stillhouse.
Do go through Belton on occasion when going to CME events in DFW..
Is about 3 hr drive from here.

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 7:54am

Welcome aboard Rick.  Glad to have you part of the family.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print