Just trying to get good
at this woodworking stuff!

Westminster, USA
Westminster
USA

Yates American J-170
Wood Identity
Jul 24th, 2017 at 4:17pm

Hey all, I just finished up dabbling around on the lathe making a few stoppers. In my newness of woodturning i am still not so great identifying woods, especially exotics. I was given some wood by a friend and some was marked with type and some wasn't. I just turned the stopper shown in the picture and it just became my favorite wood and would love to be able to get some more. If anyone can identify it, it would be much appreciated!.

Thank you,
Mark

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: Wood Identity
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 6:41pm

Can you compare the weight to a known domestic wood with which you are familiar (oak, walnut, maple, poplar, . . .)?  Can you compare the openness of the side grain to a known domestic wood with which you are familiar?  Can you compare the appearance of the end grain to that of a known domestic wood with which you are familiar?  All information helps.

IP Logged

Mark Thomas
WR Noob

Just trying to get good
at this woodworking stuff!

Westminster, USA
Westminster
USA

Yates American J-170
Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 8:44pm

The weight is very similar to a piece of African Blackwood i have and the grain is very similar to a piece of Cocolobo that i also have. Those i bought so I at least know what they are. When i turned it, some deep purple, black and yellowish orange started appearing. The closest type of wood i have found to this is the Cocobolo...can that have lighter and darker pieces within the species of tree?  Sorry if all of this seems less than informative!

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 10:37pm

It looks like cocobolo to me.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Glenn Matthies

WR Rocks!

Lockport, NY, New York, USA
Lockport, NY
New York
USA

Jet 1642 EVS 2 hp
Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 6:18am

I am going to agree with Tony.  It looks like some kind of rosewood. Although it could also be one of those "psuedo rosewoods like Morado/Pau Ferro. 

If you send a piece or two, I might be able to give you a better answer.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 8:51am

Mark Thomas wrote on Jul 24th, 2017 at 8:44pm:
The weight is very similar to a piece of African Blackwood i have and the grain is very similar to a piece of Cocolobo that i also have

I have to agree with Glenn on this.
The two woods you mentioned in your post are true Rosewoods but their are many (just as good IMO) imposters.
You listed two woods, one from Africa and one from Central America, if you could narrow it down to a region first, then maybe you could start to compare as Don suggested.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register has a few Rosewoods listed, (there are many more) each entry contains lots of information and photos that could help to narrow down the identity of your wood.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print