Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gluing a block for a faceplate (Read 821 times)

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Re: Gluing a block for a faceplate
Reply #15 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 9:07am

From my limited experience I have had no problem with thick CA glue with wet wood (about 12 projects over the years)
I do suggest hardwood for the glue block, you can glue up scrap 3/4 inch with Titebond to make one a few inches thick letting you just true the glueblock and use many times leaving the faceplate attached.
I would/have not use Titebond with green wood but it may work.
Here is a link to the Jamieson videos Don referenced.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #16 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 10:12am

Mike Mills wrote on Aug 8th, 2017 at 9:07am:
I would/have not use Titebond with green wood but it may work.

Standard PVA glues (titebond) should not be used when the wood is
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Can high moisture wood be glued?

Moisture levels above 10% can slow the drying of water based wood glues such as Titebond Original, II and III to the point where, wood above 16% moisture content, may not dry at all. For wood with high moisture content, we would recommend using a polyurethane glue such as Titebond Polyurethane Glue."

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #17 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 4:02pm

You are correct Ed. I did not even know Tightbond made a polyurethane glue.

Here is the quote from the website beginning where Ed's quote ended.
"Titebond Polyurethane glue is activated by moisture and allows it to cure quicker. However, this type of glue foams when it cures so clamping joints tightly is critical during the curing process. Tight clamping eliminates foam in the glue line which can cause weakness of the assembly. We recommend 4 hour clamping for polyurethane glues. As an added benefit, after 4 hours, parts can be machined"

Sounds good, clamp tightly and wait four hours for the added benefit.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #18 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 5:09pm

Mike Mills wrote on Aug 8th, 2017 at 4:02pm:
Titebond Polyurethane glue is activated by moisture

This is the same as Gorilla glue which I mentioned above in original reply.

If I need to use a poly glue, I use Titebond poly,  IMO Just as good if not better and it seems to have a longer shelf life than Gorilla.
(I never got to the bottom of a Gorilla glue bottle, it always hardened up  Undecided)

IP Logged

robert baccus

WR Rocks!

Reply #19 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 10:07pm

Turning green wood is not about patients really. I hate to turn dry wood--especially deep boring in hard woods. Drying a large blank is not an option--we are talking years and bugs. I endseal my roughed out blanks for 4-8 months, return and finish out with rubbed out lacquer finishes--not exactly quickey work. Check out the very extensive tests on glues in Fine woodworking magazine--google it up. Only one glue is fully strong on wet woods.  Gorilla glue and poly glues were the worst performing glues tested--at 50% psi ratings.  Elmers school glue was twice the strength of gorilla glues.  A very comprensive test by the way.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2017 at 10:12pm by robert baccus »  

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #20 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 7:15am

Robert

It is important to know HOW the glues were tested, not just the results.  Haven't subscribed to FWW in years.  How was the wood prepared, were both pieces the same moisture content, were clamps used, if so how long under clamp pressure, and any other details relevant to attaching glue blocks to green wood.  Thanks.

IP Logged

robert baccus

WR Rocks!

Reply #21 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 8:23am

The test involved hundreds of lap joints at three different degrees of fitting--standard pressure--University break testing on a computerized lab machine--very intensive and comprensive and scientific.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #22 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 8:56am

Robert, I don't disagree with you so please don't think I'm trying to argue.
(turners being impatient is my personal, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, belief)
The fault or problem with the FWW test and others as I see it, is that wood is a natural product. No test involving a natural product can ever be 100% accurate or repeated exactly. In science, if you can't repeat a result, there is a degree of uncertainty as to the validity of the findings. As you would expect, no two pieces of wood will ever be the same. Different types of glues use different chemical processes to adhere wood, which can be effected by the various characteristics of the wood being glued. I would also add that if I'm referencing the correct article, it's 10 years old, adhesives have come a long way in that time. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
The term "green wood" is not a measurable level of moisture content or percentage. At what percentage is wood no longer green? At what point is wood no longer wet or damp.
The Titebond site gives specific moisture content levels or at least a range that can be measured.
This is why it is difficult to impossible to ever give a precise answer (ask ten turners, ...) to a question about wood. The best we can do is guide or try and point you in the right direction. What works for one person will not for another.

IP Logged

robert baccus

WR Rocks!

Reply #23 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 10:30pm

Sorry Ed--this test was by experts and used hundreds of identical wood pieces miked to tight, medium and loose joints. Probably 4 years ago. Tested by a university lab and computer analyzed to eliminate these concerns of yours and mine. Google it up. As good a test as could be possibly done. Comparable tests can be done using proper statistics as was done here. I have a degree and 35 years in forestry and used Stats every day + 5 years in the oil patch doing lab and field work.  Also been woodturning for 30 years and doing mostly vases and urns in green wood.  Can't remember the last piece I didn't mount with CA.  Have a lot of wood here in E. Texas to try turning.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2017 at 10:33pm by robert baccus »  

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #24 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 12:30am

Well I wish I read that test, sounds interesting, I'll have to see if I have it on my DVD.
It would be good to see a proper test rather than what is usually cited on the web/youtube.
Thanks for letting me know.

IP Logged

robert baccus

WR Rocks!

Reply #25 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 9:01pm

Thanks for providing critique and opinion.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print