Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gluing a block for a faceplate (Read 2,453 times)

Keith Jenkins
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Abilene Texas, USA
Abilene Texas
USA

jet
Gluing a block for a faceplate
Jul 26th, 2017 at 3:30pm

Alright guys here is my problem.  I have tried gluing a sacrificial block to a blank and have had no luck.  I have tried super glue, CA glue, and Epoxy.  Seems I cannot get them to hold especially on green wood.  Are there any tips that you all use?  I hate having to remove extra material to get rid of screw holes.  thanks.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Gluing a block for a faceplate
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 4:30pm

In my experience,
I would normally use a standard PVA woodworkers glue like Titebond.
BUT
Gluing green wood, which is by it's nature wet, is going to eliminate most glues other than Polyurethane glues like Gorilla, which uses moisture to cure.
Hope this helps

IP Logged

Scott Ticknor

WR Rocks!

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 5:22pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Give this stuff a whirl . Smiley also try a heat gun to just dry the surface to be bonded
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2017 at 5:24pm by Scott Ticknor »  

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

The Villages, Florida, USA
The Villages
Florida
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V, now with Stainless Ways
Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 6:34pm

IMO - I would not trust any glue on green wood.  For green wood I don't trust anything other than a tenon.

That said, periodically check to ensure your chuck stays tight.  The green wood will move, so the chuck will need to be adjusted.

Good Luck! Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Rick Caron

So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 7:18pm

i never turn  until i check the tightness of the tennon  or  recess..........

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 7:36pm

The two surfaces need to be PERFECTLY flat, or even just a smidge concave so they contact all the say around.  Probably every glue needs to be clamped tightly, for a couple hours if not overnight.

This might sound silly, but try the same procedure with two pieces of dry wood, one serving as the turning blank and the other as the glue block.  Prepare both surfaces as you have been, even though they might already be surfaced. 

Not enough glue, old glue, poor surface preparation, .  . . there are  many possible reasons for a glue failure.

Can you describe your procedure in detail, and describe how you determine the glueup has failed?  If it comes apart the next day, is there some glue residue on each surface?  Are some wood fibers pulled from each surface?  Is there a cured glue film on each surface?

This is another situation that might benefit from a visit with a local woodturning group if there is one in your area.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 9:21pm

Tom Coghill wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 6:34pm:
IMO - I would not trust any glue on green wood.  For green wood I don't trust anything other than a tenon.

I don't like turning green wood so gluing it isn't something I do either.

As Don says, make sure you have good mating surfaces and maybe experiment until you're confident the hold is strong enough to withstand turning.

IP Logged

robert baccus

WR Rocks!

Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 5:06am

Having done many hundreds of glueblocks on vases to 100#'s + I feel I can say this.  Use a very strong wood for a glueblock at least 6 quarters thick--screw it to a faceplate or tennon the thing.  Use plenty of fresh thick CA glue only--holds 100% on green wet wood.  Clamping not necessary--you can just set it on a piece--make sure the blank is also turned true as well.  Give it 10-15 minutes.  There is no need to sacrifice your good glueblock--you can use it many times.  Merely cut it off with a parting tool and resurface.  Extremely reliable mounting for wet wood mounting.  Ca glue is unique--sets 100% on wet blanks, requires no clamping pressure, as strong as any wood glue and twice as strong as gorillo glues.  Strengths about 5000 psi--but use the thick glues where a perfect fit may not be possible.  Keep in a refrig in summertime OBTW.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2017 at 5:14am by robert baccus »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #8 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 9:01am

I will agree to disagree.
IME,
CA glues have their place in woodturning but it is not for mounting blanks.
CA glue is indeed strong but it's strength is directly correlated to the accuracy of the joint.
Ca glue is more brittle when dry than PVA glues, it may fracture or crack when subjected to the stresses of turning.
There are dozens of brands of CA glues and they all have their own claims as to strength and durability. Not to mention the  number of websites that have discussed this topic.
I suggest before anyone uses CA glue as a mounting method, do some research and experiment.
Test the product for yourself armed with as much information as possible, it's your safety after all.
Here is an article written a while back, I find it to be a good all around guide to CA glues.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

JMO

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #9 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 7:05pm

Keith

Search on Youtube for "Lyle Jamieson woodturning" and scroll through his videos until you find one on glue blocks.  I've never used one, so I can't speak from experience on CA glue and glue blocks.

Lyle's videos are segments of a long video made years ago, so it would be helpful to watch also the segment before and after, if not all of them.

IP Logged

Rick Lewis
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Delta
Reply #10 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 8:26am

I guess I'm hijacking this thread a little.  But do you guys use hardwood or softwood for your glue blocks?  Any hardwood that I have is pretty green and wet or is only 3/4" thick (purchased from Woodcraft).  But I recently had a vessel pull off of a 2"x6" glue block that I made...glue held, but the pine fibers just pulled off of the block.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #11 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 8:53am

This same question was asked over at the Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register site.

Most people will recommend a hardwood, really you're looking for something with a tight grain structure that won't pull apart.
The size of the project is the main issue, (which also applies to your adhesive choice) the larger/longer the piece, the more leverage there is acting on the glue block connection. If your choice of glue holds, then the weakest link becomes the wood fibers which, with a softwood like pine, can separate causing failure.
The type of adhesive, the species of wood, the amount of surface area to be glued and the size/weight of the vessel all need to be taken into consideration when using a glue block.

You can use pine on smaller projects that aren't subject to excess amounts of stress and/or vibration.
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2017 at 8:53am by Ed Weber »  

IP Logged

robert baccus

WR Rocks!

Reply #12 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 9:56pm

I am big on testing any connection, glue or screw.  Make you up a test glueblock with my instructions above and then try to beat it off with a big hammer.  I have mounted 130# green vases, turned the outside with the tailstock and then hollowed the deep vases with a oneway steady rest with no failures.  For failures use a weak glueblock, old glue or thin/ medium glue.  I also commonly use a single screw--glueblock--glue connection with no problems.  Some guys teaching turning( as in Wally) have used thousands of glueblocks with no problems if you use enough glue in the joint.
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2017 at 9:57pm by robert baccus »  

IP Logged

Chris Neilan
WR Addict

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Reply #13 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 8:10am

I agree with Ed. From my own experience I have come to only use Titebond glue for mounting to a glue block. I normally use a cut off of a 5/4 walnut board for the block. Recently I was hollowing out a ten inch deep vase and had the mother of all catches- the glue block held. The only issue I have is that it takes overnight to cure, and I want to turn instantly!  I have used CA glue with some sucess, but only on small projects. 
The other thing to remember is whenever possible, glue on side grain, not end grain.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2017 at 8:11am by Chris Neilan »  

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 8:53am

Don Stephan wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 7:05pm:
Search on Youtube for "Lyle Jamieson woodturning" and scroll through his videos until you find one on glue blocks.  I've never used one, so I can't speak from experience on CA glue and glue blocks.

Many people use this method, (I am not one of them) you'll need to decide for yourself

Chris Neilan wrote on Aug 8th, 2017 at 8:10am:
The only issue I have is that it takes overnight to cure, and I want to turn instantly!

JMO but,
Turners are an impatient bunch  Roll Eyes
They can't even wait for the wood to dry and they still want to glue it to something, then use a friction polish later that same day.  Undecided

Be safe

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print