WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

New Chuck?
Jul 27th, 2017 at 12:13pm

Seems like it has been a year or more since there was mention of extra jaw screws.  If like me you change jaws on your chuck you might consider getting extra jaw screws.  They are easy to drop and can be hard to find, while the price of some extra screws is low.  In my opinion it is worthwhile to have extra screws against the possibility of losing one.

Some days I install and remove my chuck five or six times, so the cost of a special chuck wrench is also a bargain.  One of the moderators has mentioned a very clever alternative - grip a piece of wood in the chuck and grab the other end of the wood with a monkey wrench.  No doubt it works well, but not as fast as a chuck wrench.

Finally, after struggling to unscrew a chucK (with a chuck wrench) that was jammed on the spindle like a double nut on a bolt, I started using a plastic spindle washer.  Some expect a plastic washer might introduce runout or similar inaccuracy but I'll live with potential.  I haven't experienced noticeable inaccuracy, and wouldn't know how it would affect a turning.  Two or three times when I was working on a heavy bowl blank and turned off the lathe, as the lathe tried to brake the spindle the momentum of the chuck and wood started unscrewing the chuck on the spindle.  When I mount a faceplate or chuck I spin them lightly into the plastic washer, and haven't had more unwinding.  Of course some aid is needed to break the faceplate or chuck free so it can be unscrewed.

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Devotee

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Re: New Chuck?
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 12:38pm

Don Stephan wrote on Jul 27th, 2017 at 12:13pm:
Finally, after struggling to unscrew a chucK (with a chuck wrench) that was jammed on the spindle like a double nut on a bolt, I started using a plastic spindle washer.

I also use a spindle washer.  The argument about runout is valid - the problem is that the plastic is not uniform in thickness.  I made my own washer, and found that the plastic lid from a yoghurt container was seriously non-uniform in thickness, but a TurboTax CD box worked just fine.

Louie

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 7:34pm

Don Stephan wrote on Jul 27th, 2017 at 12:13pm:
I haven't experienced noticeable inaccuracy, and wouldn't know how it would affect a turning.

Full disclosure, I think people make way to much of run out. in relation to wood turning. I can sneeze on a piece of wood and change it by a few thousandths of an inch. You can over tighten a chuck and put a piece of wood off center. i like to have my machines run true but I won't get caught up in the run out saga.

If you mount a piece (even on a visibly off center chuck) it doesn't matter. Once you put steel to wood, the part you cut will be perfectly round. It may not be square or even or perpendicular with anything else but it will be round unto itself.
It will really only have an effect on the piece if you remove and remount in a different manner. This is when you will notice anything other than perfectly true. Changing the orientation in which your piece is mounted will reveal the alignment issue.
I also use a plastic washer I made from some tool packaging years ago.

IP Logged

Dwight Rutherford

WR Rocks!

Roseville, California, USA
Roseville
California
USA

Jet 1642
Rose Engine
Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 10:42am

I agree with Ed, way too much time and angst is wasted on obsessing about run out.

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 9:14am

I think it de[ends on what you are turning.
A bowl might not show runout, but a pen, or bottle stopper will show it.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 10:52am

John Cepko wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 9:14am:
I think it de[ends on what you are turning.
A bowl might not show runout, but a pen, or bottle stopper will show it.

The items in your post are designed to be turned around, or mounted to, a central mandrel. This center point is fixed and can not (should not) be changed. Run-out would cause this central axis to turn off center, the results would be something like this. While the tube of mounting hole would no longer be in the direct center of the wooden blank, the outside circumference of the entire piece would still be perfectly round.

With a bowl, the fixed center point is wherever the center "ends up" once the piece is mounted.
If you mark a center point on a bowl blank and once mounted it does line up directly with center, you can still turn it and it will indeed come out round.
This is no different than changing the mounting angle to align the grain.

(please bare in mind we are talking about run-out introduced by the chuck)

IP Logged

Frank Wilda
WR Supporter

Safety always!

HADLEY, Massachusetts, USA
HADLEY
Massachusetts
USA

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 2:41pm

Just a quick comment on chucks getting stuck on the spindle...When the chuck wrench isn't enough to loosen the chuck and spindle you should consider having a BIG wrench that fits the hex nut on the chuck adapter.  I found the wrench I needed at Tractor Supply for around $12.  I don't normally shop there but I found myself browsing the isles one day and found the perfect wrench which must be around 18 inches long.  When the chuck is really jammed on the spindle that wrench ALWAYS gets the thing loose with very little effort.

"We find in life exactly what we put into it." -Emerson
IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 6:55pm

That's the way to go, Frank!  Well, for those with a hex insert.  Some other methods and the chuck could just unscrew from the insert.  My inserts are round though, so I bought a pin spanner of the correct diameter, then drilled holes in the insert to match the pin on the wrench.  The wrench is short, but a sharp rap with a small wood mallet on the end of the handle and the chuck pops loose.

IP Logged

Col Smith

WR Rocks!

Bouvard, Western Australia, Western Australia, Australia
Bouvard, Western Australia
Western Australia
Australia

Reply #8 - Aug 5th, 2017 at 10:49pm

Just a tip Don.
If you change your jaws 5 or 6 times a day.
Have you thought of cutting off a length of allan key & using it in your cordless drill. Makes really short work of changing jaws.
HTH
Col

A tidy bench is the sign of a sick mind.

Bowl gouges are like potato chips......you can't have just one.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print