Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Photography Needs....Need Affordable Camera (Read 1,912 times)

lloyd harner

WR Rocks!

littlestown, Pennsylvania, USA
littlestown
Pennsylvania
USA

Re: Photography Needs....Need Affordable Camera
Reply #15 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 7:54am

with a light box and tripod even a cell phone can take ok pictures
even indirect lighting (unless you want highlights inn some way )
i happen to have a sony A65 and macro lens but coudl use any P&S with timer

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Re: Photography Needs....How About this Camera?
Reply #16 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 5:22pm

Anyone familiar with this one ??  Got a guy offering a trade on it.

Canon EOS Rebel T3i EOS 600D

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #17 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 11:00pm

good camera. can not hardly go wrong with Canon or Nikon.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind. - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #18 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 1:10pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind. - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #19 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 1:20pm

To me using a Photo Tent which is sold pretty cheap they can do what any camera can not do by itself.

I have a photo tent with my daughters cell phone and the pictures are excellent.

It is always the right time; To do the right thing

IP Logged

Anthony Gomez

WR Rocks!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #20 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 12:00am

Mike I prefer a nikon dslr - the ones with the big lenses that autofocus / and can swap out - although you can trump a lot of things with a lot of megapixels- nothing replaces a good large lense - as a testimony to that - when I sold my arrowheads ( I am also a Flintknapper - a person who makes stone tools ) on eBay - nothing accelerated my sales like after I bought a Nikon d40 - although only a 6 megapixel camera - the images literally jumped out at you - these older digital slr cameras complete with lens. d40, d50, d60,d70, d3000 can be had on Craigslist for less than 125.00 to 150.00 - you might consider those a lot of people have upgraded their dslr and now no longer need these - my wife bought me a Nikon d3400 that also does hd video - I love it but it is a lot of camera - and its complexity cost me some shots while I went to Alaska btw the older Nikon d40 still kicking and going strong

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #21 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 10:07am

Mike, I use a Finepix S which is an inexpensive camera compared to Nikon or Canon.It has a 30 power zoom lens and 14 megapixels which is better than 35mm film. Great flash and loaded as far as automatic or manuel operation. Made by Fujifilm and has Fujinon lenses. Fujinon produces most of the lens glass for the other makes of camera. This is the second one I have had over the years and I have had Nicon,Pentax and others long before this. I would recommend it. Geo.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #22 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 11:22am

I will defer to the professional photographers on the forum BUT,
It's my understanding that the Megapixels are certainly a feature and a way to measure one aspect of an image, these days when comparing cameras the sensor is the most important.
Different cameras and ranges of cameras have different sized image sensors (the film)
The physically larger the sensor, the information that it can hold. Then you can move on to talking about megapixels.
If you look at the chart,
I have a 24MP camera with a ASP-C sensor, so while the pictures are great, they could/would be better with a full frame sensor. The more information  captured, the higher the level of detail that can be achieved. (also higher price)

Cell phones Have small lenses which don't let in enough light and very small sensors, 1/3" type typically. While they are good for what they are and can take decent photos (of a certain type) they will never compare with a standard camera. There are physical limitations.

I look at it in this order
Sensor size
Lens size
Mega Pixel size
Once the first two are met, the MP is usually irrelevant because if you get a camera with a good sensor and lens it will 9 times out of 10 have enough MP for the task.

This chart is just a guide, (gets outdated quickly) currently they are putting larger sensors, like the ASP-C in smaller cameras the used to have only 1/2" sensors. This makes the new entry and point & shoot cameras a great deal for the price. They will take much higher quality photos the their predecessors.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #23 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 6:34pm

I mentioned the Fujifilm cameras only because their price for the same features is very good. A larger sensor with the same number of pixels as a smaller sensor is preferred because each pixel, or little colored square, is easier to manufacture but generally increases the camera size, although some of the small point and shoot cameras now have 20 mega pixel sensors. I paid $137.00 for my Finepix S4500 about 6 years ago so they are probably higher now. Walmart and Target used to sell them. The advantage to having 14 million pixels is incase you ever want to print a 24 x 36 inch photo. Otherwise for our use, 5 megapixel is more than enough. When I am taking photos for the internet I lower the camera settings to just that. Geo.
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2018 at 6:35pm by George Stratton »  

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #24 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 7:30pm

George Stratton wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 6:34pm:
I mentioned the Fujifilm cameras only because their price for the same features is very good.

Those are great cameras, don't get me wrong, I have a comparable model canon. These cameras are capable of quite a lot but have the very small sensor like that of today's cell phones.
You are limited to what you can do with the photos afterward due to the small sensor, zooming in or blowing up to any degree quickly becomes pixelated. The size of the sensor and the amount or number of Mega pixels are two separate things as i tried to explain for those who didn't know.
George Stratton wrote on Mar 7th, 2018 at 6:34pm:
although some of the small point and shoot cameras now have 20 mega pixel sensors.

There is no such thing.
They have 20 MP and a sensor, what size the sensor is is what matters.

Sensor size = film size
Mega Pixels = resolution
If you had 2 cameras with everything being equal except the sensor size, you'll get a better quality photo with the larger sensor camera. The image will be made up of the same number of pixels but the pixels will be larger and  cleaner (less digital noise) the digital noise is usually generated by trying to jam too much onto a small sensor.

IP Logged

Buck Nemitt
WR Addict

Lovin It

Toronto,Ohio, Ohio, USA
Toronto,Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #25 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 8:46am

Its confusing to pick out a camera but who knows in the future if there maybe another Calendar contest but youd want a camera that can give Ron the image he needs for a submission. Heres a link with his input on requirements. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

What the heck,Give it a try---

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #26 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 10:14am

Any camera you have that takes the photo you want is a "good" camera.

If you want to improve the quality of your photos you need to have a basic understanding of digital camera terminology and how the different aspects work together. If your photos are mainly turned items, it's also a good idea to do some homework on "product photography".

Without seeing a piece firsthand, taking a quality photograph is essential to how your work is perceived.
If you are selling a piece or even just discussing it in person, you are able to tell a story and point out certain areas or aspects of your work that warrant further description.
With a photo, you don't have the same luxury, the photo has to tell the entire story of the piece. The better the photo, the more it can tell about the subject.
This is why IMO the photo needs to be of the same quality as the work. If the photo is of lesser quality it can diminish the perceived quality of the work.

IP Logged

Ronald Plumley

Apple Ridge Woodturners,
Etowah River Woodturners

Talking Rock, Georgia, USA
Talking Rock
Georgia
USA

PM3520b
Rockwell 46-111
Reply #27 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 10:43am

Yes, a better camera will help you take better photos, but as has been said above, the camera is only part of it. You, as the photographer, play a large part in the process. If you want to showcase your turned items, whether for sale or just for maximum oohs and ahs, you as the photographer must make good choices.

1) Make sure there is good, bright, even lighting. A lot of photos are ruined because it's too dim. If you're using Auto mode on the camera, it will try to compensate for the low light conditions and one of the ways the camera does that is by increasing the exposure time. That's not necessarily as big a concern if the camera is on a tripod and you're using a remote trigger. If you're hand-holding the camera, it's a recipe for blurry photos. When I was learning photography, one of the cardinal things I was taught was that LONGEST exposure time you can get a DECENT (note: not GOOD) photo is 1/60th of a second. Any longer than that and you introduce movement from just holding the camera. Even if you don't think you're moving the camera, you are. Auto mode is good for candid snapshots, but if you're taking a serious photo, you really need to learn how to work with the exposure time /shutter speed and the iris/f-stop setting.  As mentioned earlier, the shutter speed is how long the shutter stays open and is measured in fractions of a second. Generally, you want as small a fraction as you can get. Brighter light will help with that. The iris, or f-stop, is a ratio of the focal length over the diameter of the opening.  The relationship between the shutter speed and the f-stop is a complicated series of trade-offs which is a bit much for this conversation.

2) I would recommend using a few tools if you really want to get a great picture:
     A)A Tripod - this will help eliminate a great deal of any camera shake. To eliminate even more, use the timed mode on your camera. You should be able to get a 3 or 10 second countdown before the shutter fires, which helps to remove any shaking from pushing the button to take the photo.
     B) Use a light tent if you can get or make one. This is pretty much a frame you put your item to be photographed into. The frame holds up some translucent fabric which diffuses the light coming from the sides and top, helping to prevent stark shadows and hot spots from the lights being reflected at your camera. You can find them online and they're not that expensive.
     C) More light. The more light you can get shining on your piece of art, the better. External flash units slaved to or triggered by a flash on the camera is great. Keep in mind that light is a tricky thing. You want to keep the type and color temperature of the light as homogeneous as possible. Your camera can compensate for the different light sources if you know how to set it up. If you have taken photos where you mix incandescent light with fluorescent light, you have an idea of what I'm talking about. Incandescent makes the photo kind of orange-ish where fluorescent will make it kind of blue-greenish. Check your camera's manual.

3) Location Location Location. If you want to maximize the quality of the photo, be very picky about where you take the photo. Setting the bowl on the lathe and just snapping a picture of it is great, but all the stuff in the background will make the quality of the photo suffer. Put up a sheet or place your piece of art by itself up next to a wall. Minimize the distractiveness of the background in your photo. The light tent mentioned in 2B will REALLY help with that.

If you are going to take the plunge into dSLR's and get something that you can change lenses on, please be aware that, for the most part, the camera body is pretty much an accessory for the lens, not the other way around. Get the best glass you can manage. As the camera bodies change, you can upgrade them, but the lenses are the biggest investment. Do research. Learn about them. Get the best glass you can manage to get. 

Wow. This got much longer than I expected it to. Sorry if I kind of rambled on a bit...

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #28 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 1:29pm

Ronald Plumley wrote on Apr 4th, 2018 at 10:43am:
Wow. This got much longer than I expected it to. Sorry if I kind of rambled on a bit...

It happens

"I have a quick photography question" no such thing
It's like asking how do you turn a bowl  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print