WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

PM Tool Rest Lock
Jul 30th, 2017 at 1:22pm

On my PM 4224,  when using the 14" tool rest, I can't keep the tool rest post from slipping occasionally in the tool rest base (banjo?).  The working end of the tool support handle is polished and rounded.  If working directly over the tool rest post slippage is minimal.  Slippage is not a problem when using the 6" toolrest, but there are many times when I want the long tool rest.  The posts on the tool rests are both smooth.  Admittedly there is a lot of leverages force when making a pull cut at the end of the longer rest, but sometimes yesterday it was slipping when working close to the post.  Would filing the end of the tool rest handle flat help?  Not sure how I would make the center perfectly mildly concave like the end of set screws.  Thanks.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: PM Tool Rest Lock
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 7:40pm

Don, is your tool rest lock a simple set screw type. (screw against post)
One thing it could be, is a very slight difference in size between your tool rest posts. Possibly the longer one that is doing the slipping is slightly shy of the standard 1" diameter. It may be worth a second to measure the two.

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 8:54pm

Pretty sad excuse for a tool rest clamp on a very expensive lathe, ain't it Sad  I got mine clamping good, but not something that is easily done without access to a machine shop.  I had strongly considered a Robust banjo, just to get a decent clamp.  The Robust uses a "clamp cotter" just like my old PM90...I was very happy with that system.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 10:39pm

The 3520C has a tool post lock like the Robust, which is an improvement. Not sure if they will retrofit for the bigger PM or not. I had the same problem with my A. Since there were 4 holes around the banjo, they told me to add a second set screw. That helped a lot. Cranking down on the handle just wears out the soft pot metal on the handle. Actually, a small pair of Vice Grips works pretty well....

robo hippy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print