Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cameras in Big Box Stores (Read 855 times)

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Cameras in Big Box Stores
Aug 1st, 2017 at 2:40am

Ive seen the difference in some tools bought in big box stores...Had a bad experiences for sure.. Is there any difference in cameras bought in a big store?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Re: Cameras in Big Box Stores
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 8:42am

Apples to apples or apples to oranges?
I would assume that if you are buying an Ellsworth gouge, it would be the same no matter where you got it.

A Canon 6d is the same no matter where it is selling.

Go to a store and fiddle with the camera you are looking for and then go buy it at the cheapest price you can find on line. Just make sure you are getting everything that is supposed to come with the camera.... with or without a lens. Some less reputable places will strip the package and try to  sell it all to you as "add ons".
If you don't need the stock lens, you canjust buy the body.

I have no need for a 50mm lens so i only buy the bodies.

This only applies to NEW equipment! Buying used and you are definitely on your own.

Personally, B&H is the most reputable place.

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 9:45am

I think I know where you're going with this.
"some" tools and/or brands has slightly stripped down versions that they sell exclusively through the Big Box stores.

Some stores have extreme buying power and can ask manufacturers to make them an exclusive model that looks almost the same but isn't. These Box Store models can range from being less powerful to having less features or being made with less quality control or any combination. This intentional misdirection fools the customer into buying something that is not what it seems.
I have heard this about many items like Husky chainsaws but don't have first hand knowledge.

I personally have not seen this with cameras. This is most likely due to profit and volume. there are simply not enough cameras being sold to warrant the practice, I purchased a camera from Sam's Club for a very good price and it was the same in every way as the model offerered from the manufacturer directly.

Make sure the model number is EXACTLY the same, it there are extra digits, look elsewhere.
(out here in CA there are usually differences in the model numbers of items that have to adhere to environmental codes, I don't think that applies to cameras)

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 12:31pm

watch out too for refurbished and international version in the labels.

refurbished is just what it means, sold, returned defective, fixed, and offered for sale again. to me, if it had problems before, it will have problems again.

international models may have a low price but NO warranty.

I buy from B&H and Amazon. no problems with either on returns or questions.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 1:09pm

I have bought refurbished from the manufacturer without issue to date.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 3:09pm

I purchased a Nikon D5300 from Costco a few years ago. I have been very happy with it.  It came with two zoom lenses and a case.

I purchased in addition:  a spare rechargeable battery (always good to carry a spare) and UV filters for each lens.

One also needs those SD storage cards.

I already had a good tripod Thumbs Up

IP Logged

David Meade
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Quispamsis, New Brunswick, Canada
Quispamsis
New Brunswick
Canada

Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 11:43am

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Aug 1st, 2017 at 8:42am:
Go to a store and fiddle with the camera you are looking for and then go buy it at the cheapest price you can find on line. 

This statement is why we do not have brick and mortar stores. This is totally unfair to a store, we have to stock a heated store, open a package, display it, entertain you, answer your questions, and allow you to maul and fiddle with the product. Then you leave to save 5%.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #7 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 12:46pm

Sorry, but that is just how it is today...and it's usually for more than a measly 5%.  A mere 5% isn't enough to make it worthwhile.

If you want to get AND keep that customer, you better be prepared to either match or come close to the online prices or get into a different line of business.

I'm sure i can go into B&H's store and get the same price  for something as their online price. That is how they compete.

I doubt that you would go to an auto dealer and just buy the car right then without going to other places to price compare because you felt guilty for taking their time.

You fiddled with the car in their showroom and took up their time and probably went to another showroom and bought it cheaper there.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #8 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 8:52pm

In complete agreement with David.  No one should think or argue that a retail store has the same overhead as a warehouse - would you expect to be able to into an Amazon warehouse to ask questions and fiddle with display items?  Would you expect a warehouse to have expensive liability insurance for customers?  Would you expect a warehouse to have knowledgeable staff able to answer questions about product carried?  Would you expect a warehouse to have customer parking and clean public restrooms?  And so on.

IP Logged

David Meade
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Quispamsis
New Brunswick
Canada

Reply #9 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 9:49pm

There is a level of profit needed bu every tradesperson, professional or business. When I shop I look for more than the product, If I find the product fairly priced and represented properly I make my purchase. I owned a motorcycle shop, people would come in open boxes and try on helmets until they found the size they want, and then go across the street and order it at a discounter. How did he discount he made no investment in inventory and took payment before he ordered. That is an example of what some think is savy shopping in my mind it is scummy. If I find a good price I won't go to someone else for price matching.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 10:18am

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 12:46pm:
Sorry, but that is just how it is today...and it's usually for more than a measly 5%.  A mere 5% isn't enough to make it worthwhile.

In Ralph's defense, this is how it is, you don't have to like it but you do have to deal with it.
While I agree it's not the "right' way to go about making a purchase, there always other things to consider.
The main issue is price, the second most important thing is price. People work hard for their dollar and want to stretch it as far as possible, this can manifest itself in some no so attractive (scummy) ways.

Brick and mortar stores are in a hard spot these days but you might think that they would "step up" a little with better service and knowledgeable staff to somewhat warrant the higher price required for a physical shop, sadly this is not always the case.
I have experienced the situation of being able to purchase AND return online and still come in at a lower price than brick and mortar stores.
I some cases I prefer a local brick & mortar shop to keep my purchases local but it is not always possible of convenient.
On the other side of the coin I have two large Amazon distribution centers in my area, one 75 miles away, one 60 miles away and a third being built will be 20 miles away.
All of these centers employ several thousand people.
There is no right or wrong way to spend your money, you need to do whats best for you.
JMO

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #11 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 12:09pm

I would go ahead and buy from the B&M store if the price was as much as 10% more than online... for the exact reason you stated... actual person to help and hopefully knowledgeable about the product.

One of the big probems we have up here at the end of the Earth is that almost no one sells what we are looking for.

When I lived in south Jersey, pretty much everything was for sale there and if need be, I could drive over to Philly and get ANYTHING I wanted or needed. This is not the case up here in downeast maine.

Over time, i found it was easier to just go online and get it rather then spending a half day driving around only to not find what I need.  Even if the place did sell it, half the time they were out of stock... Rite Aid being the largest offender.

I buy all of my furniture and bedding stuff like pillows and mattresses from my local furniture store for the reason he always has what I need, i can try it out AND he buys from MY store as well.  I do pay more there, but in the end, it is worth it.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #12 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 2:59pm

@David Meade

If I recall correctly, Ralph owns a brick and mortar store (as did I before I retired) so he may have a good idea of what you are saying about business owners and their problems with online and big box outlets.

Personally, I have a love/hate relationship with Amazon. There are times that I find Amazon's prices higher than that I can find locally and there are times that I can not find what I need locally. My rule of thumb is if the price is within 10% of the cost online compared to local, I'll buy local.

We are all guilty of buying online, I know I am. If I may David, can I ask you this? Do you buy your business cards from a local printer or do you go online because it was a less expensive source?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

David Meade
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Quispamsis
New Brunswick
Canada

Reply #13 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 4:14pm

Good point Ron on the Business cards but guess what the last time I tried to get them locally the shops were using online services as they do not do in house printing anymore. I am not against online buying but it isnot right to do local shopping and choosing then order online. If you intend to buy online do it and deal with it

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 6:36pm

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 12:09pm:
Over time, i found it was easier to just go online and get it rather then spending a half day driving around only to not find what I need.

I find that this is one thing many people don't take into account, their own time.
Not everyone can or wants to spend an hour or so driving around town for a purchase. The time spent shopping could be better spent doing something else IMO

Ron Sardo wrote on Jan 17th, 2018 at 2:59pm:
There are times that I find Amazon's prices higher than that I can find locally and there are times that I can not find what I need locally. My rule of thumb is if the price is within 10% of the cost online compared to local, I'll buy local.

For me the 10% rule just isn't enough. I'm at least 15 miles away from any type of shopping other than a convenience store. The time that it takes to make any kind of trip, plus gas, wear and tear, lost time doing something else, most of the time it isn't worth it.
These days (probably half the time) when I do go out and physically shop, I end up coming home and have to order the item online because the store doesn't carry it. So most of the time it's impossible to try out an item at a brick & mortar and then purchase online even if I wanted to.
That's just my experience.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print