Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First time post, not sure if this is the correct place... (Read 205 times)

Rusty Williams
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

have no idea...it was my Dad's
First time post, not sure if this is the correct place...
Aug 2nd, 2017 at 7:46pm

Board,
My father was an avid turner later in life.  He passed away about 8 years ago and I inherited his shop, which includes mostly old tools, equipment and LOTS of wood boards of varying thicknesses and lengths.  Mostly walnut and cherry as far as I can tell.  He had a friend that worked at a saw mill that would bring him stuff over the years.  That piled up and now we have about 6 stacks that are waist high or higher with wood.

My dad was the type that believed if having a few pieces of wood to turn was good, then having a LOT of pieces sitting under his shelter would be much better.  I think that developed from growing up in the depression era. 

My oldest son and I are going through some of the wood and have considered selling it on ebay.  I have sold plenty of stuff on ebay and would like to move some of this stuff online also.  I hate to see it sit here for another eight years.  I might turn some in the future, but right now with 3 kids and life, it might be a number of years before I can.

My question is what do you as a turner look for with turning blanks online?  Does it need to be dry wood (certain %)?  If wet, does it need to be sealed (what I have seen online during my research)?    Does it need to be cut into certain dimensions?  My Dad did mostly bowls and plates. 

I also have a friend who owns a saw mill that sells a lot of his timber overseas.  He lets me get the ends (usually 4"x6"12" or larger) to burn in our wood stove (old family home place).  I thought I might get my son involved and it could be a part time job for him to cut up the pieces into blanks and sell those on ebay too.

Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated and if this is the wrong section, I apologize.
Thanks
Rusty

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: First time post, not sure if this is the correct place...
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 7:55pm

My suggestion is to contact the nearest woodturning organizations.  You may have difficulty trying to sell sight unseen without a reputation.

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Re: First time post, not sure if this is the correct place...
Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 7:00am

Sorry to hear about your dad.
Unfortunately this is a common occurance, a dad dies, and someone is left to clean up, and has no idea of what they have, or what it is worth.
A local turning club would have members that could come have a look, and give you an assessment. The American Association of  Woodturners could help you find a local club.
Without looking at the wood, and tools, you could have several thousands of dollars sitting there, or you could have practically nothing, most likely something in between.
I have never bought or sold wood on EBay, so can't help you there

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print