Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Miter saw you would purchase strictly for segment turning? (Read 112 times)

Clark Pittman
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Portland, Tennessee, USA
Portland
Tennessee
USA

Both Nova Comet 2 and Laguna Revo 1836
Miter saw you would purchase strictly for segment turning?
Aug 7th, 2017 at 5:00pm

Anyone have thoughts on which miter saw would be the best for segment turning? Which ones have the ability to make "fine" angle adjustments to allow for segment rings with near perfect joints, or is that too much to hope for with a miter saw?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Miter saw you would purchase strictly for segment turning?
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 5:52pm

I will tell you that most everyone will most likely jump on the Festool Kapex bandwagon.
Good saw, very pricey. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

There are plenty of other miter saws that cost less that will give you a precise cut and have "micro-adjust" features. [url]Bosch is an example. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register[/url]

Much of the cut quality comes from the use of the proper blade
The Festool has a proprietary blade, most other quality name brand saws accept standard blades. I suggest buying a blade designed for use in a Miter saw. Freud and Forrest are the most common IME

There are other things to consider such as hold downs and/or fence design, you'll have to decide what fits your work style best. I almost forgot, the ability to make of purchase a zero-clearance insert is a must.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print