Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Lockdown Handle?
Aug 12th, 2017 at 11:45am

I'm having some troubles where the height adjustment lockdown 'bangs' my knuckles into the lock down for my banjo.  When tightened...they're just too close together making for some interesting wrist geometries.  Sometime back, there was a thread of a type of spring-loaded lock down bar where the handle can 'pop-out', re-set itself, and be turned again.  My horrible description notwithstanding, does anyone know what the name of such handle would be?  THANKS...John

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Lockdown Handle?
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 12:01pm

John, these can go by many different names but typically they are called Ratchet Levers.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
These are available in aluminum, steel, plastic and virtually any thread size you need.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Supporter

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 3:05pm

Ed...Do you by chance have a brand you prefer/recommend?  Unfortunately...I'm one of 'those' guys that's guilty of that extra turn and have snapped more than my fair share of handles.  I shy away from anything 'cast' and will eventually decide on one of the steel varieties.  The Kipp brand appears popular on Amazon but aside from that I'm not knowledgeable of the different makes.  thanks...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 5:46pm

John, what I prefer the KIPP brand. I use the 'Kipp adjustable handle, ball style"
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Lots of choices from plastic to stainless, you'll find what you need here.
These are available through Amazon and other retailers.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 10:23am

John - My lathe needed the same type of adjustment over the weekend.  I don't know what type you have, however I found that my lathe is very easily adjusted (both handles on the banjo). 

If you would let us know more about your lathe, I am sure there are others here who can help.

Thanks, Tom

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Supporter

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 12:36pm

Tom Coghill wrote on Aug 14th, 2017 at 10:23am:
If you would let us know more about your lathe, I am sure there are others here who can help.

I have a Teknatool NOVA DVR XP...and though I like it very much, those two handles are simply in the way of one another.  Complicating matters a little bit is that for 1/3 of my tasks I'm right-handed and left-handed for the rest of life.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 3:11pm

John,

I see what you mean from their website. 

Look carefully at how the Banjo clamps the tool rest in place.  Is it part of the handle that you turn, or is a second piece of wear metal that does that job?  Mine is two pieces, so I could shim between the two if needed.  Another option if yours is one piece is to tack weld a small bit of metal to the end of the existing threaded stock you have on yours.  That would cause the handle to not need to be turned in so far to hold tight.

All of this just more options for you to consider.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 5:14pm

Tom, I think you're trying to make it more complicated than it is.
The banjo lock down handle can tighten on either the left or right This gives you a choice of where to position it so it won't interfere.
The tool post lock down handle is solid and can only tighten in one spot (I suppose you could argue two), this can be a problem.
A ratcheting handle can be tightened and rotated in any direction so that it doesn't interfere regardless of what side you're turning on.
Simply replacing the existing handle with a ratcheting one will solve the problem.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #8 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 6:12pm

Ed,   I agree with you.  This is not a tough problem to overcome.  I found that mine, after messing with it over the weekend, has a LOT of adjustment built into the existing design.  I can make it to be "tight" at any angle I prefer.  I also found that I could make very fine adjustments in the tool-holder height lightener (I think I just coined a title for a handle thingy) with internal shims, if that is ever necessary.  This is due to a two-part design.

I just love seeing how well these machines are designed and thought out. Cool

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #9 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 6:36pm

Tom Coghill wrote on Aug 14th, 2017 at 6:12pm:
I just love seeing how well these machines are designed and thought out. Cool

Unfortunately not always that well  Roll Eyes

The wedge design for tightening the tool post is far better in that it gives a more secure hold while not damaging the post.
The ratcheting handle is better for the reasons stated above.
If you want a lathe that has both, you have to pay or alter it yourself.

I have a Jet 1642, while there are threads on the left right and center of the banjo for convenience, it's still basically a bolt driving into a round rod to cinch it up, not as secure as it could be. It's what I usually call "crude but effective"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print