Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cole jaw turning (Read 249 times)

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Cole jaw turning
Aug 16th, 2017 at 3:01pm

The wife is asking me to turn a 3 tier platter from wood. The maximum dia. I can turn in my Delta lathe is 12" so I,m trying for that as the bottom tier somewhere around 1/2" deep type platter. The problem I have with that and the last thing I turned is a way to finish off the bottom surface and remove screw holes or a recess? If I purchase a set of Cole jaws to fit my Nova G3, whats the largest diameter that will work in those jaws on my 12"lathe.
What other options are there for finishing the bottom with my equipment.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Cole jaw turning
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 4:26pm

George,
Off the top of my head, you'll have to look at their website. The cole jaws are not grouped together like a normal person would put them  Roll Eyes
Teknatool (NOVA) has "basically" 3 different sizes of cole jaws.
1. Mini, which is good for small lathes with min 8" swing
2. Standard, about 10" good for lathes with 12' swing
3. Large, about 12" good for lathes with 14' swing
4. Extensions for Large to make the 14" for 16" swing lathe
Double check the size and lathe swing, don't take my word for it.
For you lathe I would look at these Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
I would also get a set of the accessory buffers Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
These are far better (more secure) than the supplied buttons. They are next to worthless IMO.

Some other methods or reverse mounting a platter would be vacuum chuck, double face turners tape and a face plate. Longworth chuck and I'm sure there are others that I can't think of right now.

IP Logged

Dwight Rutherford

WR Rocks!

Roseville, California, USA
Roseville
California
USA

Jet 1642
Rose Engine
Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 4:33pm

You can simply jam chuck it to turn away all of the wood at the base except for a small nib at the tailstock. That can be carved away off the lathe. No need for Cole jaws at all. This method also allowesyou to make your base piece as near to the 12" swing of your lathe. 11 1/2" is probably practical.
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2017 at 4:35pm by Dwight Rutherford »  

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 5:43pm

I do about like Dwight but use a friction chuck instead of a jam chuck. Usually I take the nib down to about 1/8-1/4" and then finish off the lathe.
Another possibility is a donut chuck which I would like much better than cole jaws.  About $20 for a faceplate and add your 3/4 plywood and a few bolts.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 7:06pm

I have a 3" faceplate. Can I attach a 12" diameter piece of 3/4 plywood and hold the plate against there with the tailstock live center, or is it better to have a smaller dia plywood on the faceplate and possibly with double tape between? I realize now that Cole jaws would cut down on the max. dia. I could turn because of the nibs on them when the jaw diameter is out to 12".
Thanks all, Geo.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 7:19pm

If starting with a slab say 1 1/2" thick, you could mount that on a screw chuck - you might have to first screw a piece of plywood onto the screw chuck so that the screw only protrudes about 1/2" or a bit more.  Shape the outer edge and bottom, and turn a shallow recess in the bottom.  Then reverse, expanding your chuck's jaws into the recess, and turn the top.  Some people simply make the recess part of the bottom decoration.  I have not done this but have seen it done on a Richard Raffan video.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 9:13pm

George Stratton wrote on Aug 16th, 2017 at 7:06pm:
I have a 3" faceplate. Can I attach a 12" diameter piece of 3/4 plywood and hold the plate against there with the tailstock live center, or is it better to have a smaller dia plywood on the faceplate and possibly with double tape between? I realize now that Cole jaws would cut down on the max. dia. I could turn because of the nibs on them when the jaw diameter is out to 12".

Yes, you could use either method.
With cole jaws in contraction mode, you will always lose a couple of inches of diameter.
By using a piece of plywood (either method) you not only gain diameter to your lathes max capacity but you also get support.
When platters/plates (items with little or no sidewall) over about10" you can start to introduce vibration, the plywood helps to reduce this.
I prefer to have the plywood nest into the platter for a more secure connection, whether using strictly friction or tape.

IP Logged

Steve Kniffen

WR Rocks!

Clyde, Texas, USA
Clyde
Texas
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 9:43pm

I use Cole jaws routinely for turning bowls and platters.  I have the standard ones which give a 10" diameter.  One thing you can do if you want something wider than that is to leave a short lip (0.25-0.375" deep) on the top of the platter.  When you mount it on the chuck, use the inside of the lip like you would a recess on the bottom of a bowl. 

Read the manual that comes with the jaws carefully.  If you don't have the tailstock supporting the bottom, top speed is 600 RPM.  Mine have that engraved on the jaws for emphasis.  With the tailstock up you can turn faster.  I leave the tailstock engaged as long as I can.

Steve

Experience is what teaches us that we've made this mistake before ...

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 9:11am

Steve Kniffen wrote on Aug 16th, 2017 at 9:43pm:
I use Cole jaws routinely for turning bowls and platters.

+1
The one thing Steve mentioned bares repeating, READ THE MANUAL!
I know not everyone like cole jaws but IME a high percentage of those who don't, didn't use them properly. If used correctly, they are probably one of (if not the #1) most versatile work holding tool/s you can have.

I will start a new thread here in the Tips & Techniques section titled "Chucking with Cole Jaws"
This will be so people can post photos of their chucking methods, to help out others that need or want it. Hopefully it may offer some insight to those who have either shied away from them due to all the horror stories about pieces flying off or just don't know what you can do with them.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Reply #9 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 9:35am

That new thread sounds good Ed. I think i'll get a set of the 10" size mentioned above and go from there. At least I can finish off the bottom of the bowl I turned.
Thanks all, Geo.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print