Send Topic Print
expansion chuck (Read 739 times)

jimmy russell
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

central machinery 10 x 18
expansion chuck
Aug 17th, 2017 at 9:47am

hey gang...i am extremely new at this..im a us citizen living in tampico mexico...i recently got into woodturning and unfortunatley where I live there are no supplies or woodturners nearby.  therefore I will be relying a lot on this forum.  I bought a Central Machinery 10 x 18 and I was wondering which expansion chuck would be the best.  It has a MT-2 taper..any help would be greatly appreciated...thx

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: expansion chuck
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 10:18am

Welcome to the Forum jimmy
We could probably help you a little better if you tell us what you are turning or plan on turning

IP Logged

jimmy russell
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 10:34am

well...i was hoping to eventually be able to do bowls.or any thing i need to hollow out...thus the reason for the chuck...right now im just learning the tools and getting the feel for everything..

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 1:30pm

most any 4 jaw scroll chuck that fits you lathe will work.

Welcome to the club!

Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

jimmy russell
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 1:43pm

thanx for the reply..what I need is a model and part number...I am in Mexico and dont have the luxury of taking it back if it doesnt work...My biggest worry is that it has same  threads as the shaft on the headstock..the size and thread doesnt come in the manual..therefore I was hoping someone might know which I need to buy...thx again

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 1:52pm

Welcome.
If you have access to the internet, look up PSI woodworking (Penn State Industries).  I started out with their chucks and still use them.  Their chuck will handle what you want to do on that lathe.  Believe yours has a 1 x8 spindle.
The MT is for the tailstock.

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 2:13pm

Jimmy

I've looked at the manual, and of course it doesn't say what the spindle threading is.  But that something that you should easily be able to measure, and since lathe spindles are fairly standard, you just need to figure out which of the standard threadings your machine has.

I presume that your lathe is new.  Vintage lathes can be all over the map, but modern lathes tend to be somewhatly standardized, especially Chinese lathes which is what you have.  Which means that your measurement doesn't need to be extremely precise because you only need to determine which of the standards you are dealing with.

First, measure the outside diameter of the spindle (over the threads).  There are four standard diameters - 3/4", 1", 1 1/4" and 33mm.

Second, measure the length of the threaded portion of the spindle, and then count the number of threads in that length to determine the thread count.  Again, there are a few standards on modern lathes - 16tpi, 10tpi, 8tpi, etc.

This is a small lathe with an MT-2 spindle bore - my guess is that the threading is 1"x8tpi.

Here's a reference that lists spindle specs for various lathes.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register; Also Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register; Unfortunately, they don't cover Harbor Freight.

Louie

IP Logged

Daniel Hayes

WR Rocks!

Conroe, Texas, USA
Conroe
Texas
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 2:57pm

Jimmy, I have the larger HF lathe and I decided on a a Nova G3 chuck.  My lathe is 1"x8 so it's possible yours is also.  I chose the G3 because of all the options for jaws.  Some chucks have fixed attachment threads and some have inserts.  Make sure you understand which you are getting. I decided on the fixed.  The chuck comes with 2" jaws that can be expanded or contracted. I think it's a great chuck for us beginners.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 6:54pm

As mentioned in the last post, sometimes chucks have the spindle threading permanently part of the chuck, and sometimes they have inserts, which allow one to change the spindle threading on the chuck if necessary sometime in the future (upgrading to a larger lathe, usually).

If you are new to woodturning, I heartily recommend the Introduction to Woodturning book and companion video by Richard Raffan and the videos and other materials on this website.  Be wary of videos from other areas on the Internet as they may show unsafe or poor practices - those posted here have been previewed and judged acceptable.

Even from your location I expect you can access the website for Craft USA and other well regarded mail order sources for lathe tools and accessories.

IP Logged

lynn cranmer

WR Rocks!

San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
San Jose del Cabo
Mexico

Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 11:11am

I have the same lathe and it has 1x8 threads. Lots of chucks available . I live in San Jose del CAbo and have to order most things online and have them shipped to my mail box store. Usually costs me an additional 25%. Hope that helps. Lynn

IP Logged

jimmy russell
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 11:52am

thanx a mil Lynn..didnt expect to see another expat on here...if you have any chucks or tools you dont need send em my way.....saludos

IP Logged

jimmy russell
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 12:20pm

I wanted to thank everybody individually, but I havent figured it out yet...therefore thanx to all for the help...stay tuned for many more questions to come...my current project is making a nice little table for my lathe while I wait for my gouges to arrive..The ones they sent me werent for lathe turning..but Ive been playing with them anyway...thx again..saludos from Tampico, Mexico..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print