Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Turner - JET 1221VS Alignment (Read 1,069 times)

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Re: New Turner - JET 1221VS Alignment
Reply #15 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 5:30pm

Take a look at page 25 of your owner's manual, it shows a 'blown-up' diagram.  Aside from poor milling, it looks like the only adjustment available to you is to loosen the four screws holding the motor housing and align it that way.  Otherwise, and as others have already suggested, I'd take it back.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #16 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 9:48am

Just to be absolutely clear.
Manufacturing defects or faults are not the same in any way as assembly errors on behalf of the user.
If you can't assemble your new tool correctly, you probably shouldn't be using it anyway. (that's your fault)
If you can't assemble your new tool correctly because there is a defect, you return it. (that's their fault)

If a small adjustment on your part can fix the error, it may be worth trying.
Going too far beyond what is reasonably expected of the consumer to do (especially with a new tool under warranty, you paid for that too) is simply wasting time/money IMO

Everyone has purchased tools and had to "tweak" them a bit to their standards or methods of work, I've been doing it for many many years. Buying a new tool and having to adjust it in order to have it work properly (as designed) can be infuriating. Angry

Good Luck,

IP Logged

Bill Moschler

WR Rocks!

Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
Knoxville
Tennessee
USA

Nova
Reply #17 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 1:21pm

To me that is a fairly small error in alignment.  I would wonder if a replacement would even be better?  If the lathe is otherwise perfect I would probably keep it. it would seem to be a lot of trouble to return it. Maybe correct it with Jets suggestions.  From what I read there is not a adjustment that Jet makes during assembly?  Is the bed ground on the edges so that it keeps the tail stock aligned as it moves don the bed?  Not on my NOVA, I think. 

Re reading your post.  The vibration would bother me and I would want to fix that or possibly return the lathe for vibration.  No, I do not think the alignment affects the smoothness of the lathe.  But if it vibrates while running with no workpiece there is a problem in manafacture of it.

I would spend the time to find the source of the vibration and address that with Jet.  And would try a dial indicator on the shaft.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2017 at 1:29pm by Bill Moschler »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print