Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Turner - JET 1221VS Alignment (Read 354 times)

David Gilliland
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

JET 1221vs
New Turner - JET 1221VS Alignment
Aug 24th, 2017 at 11:48am

Hi all, first post here. I'm a relatively new wood turner. I started on an old grizzly mini lathe handed down to me, and recently upgraded to a JET 1222vs.

Out of the box, the headstock and tail stock of the JET are not perfectly aligned horizontally (please see attached pic).

I've reached out to JET and they've told me to "shim the bolts" or file down the tail stock. I'm not really comfortable filing a brand new piece of equipment with my limited experience, and I'm still working on getting shims so haven't tried that yet. I'm wondering if:

a) Should I expect perfect alignment out of the box, and if so, should I be pushing JET to fix the issue rather than trying to implement their recommendations?
b) Is the amount of misalignment shown in the photo significant enough to be a concern? I'm definitely getting a lot more vibration on this machine compared to the Grizzly, which is making it hard to get smooth, but I don't know if the alignment or another issue with my setup is causing this.

Thanks for any wisdom you can impart on this newbie!

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Devotee

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Re: New Turner - JET 1221VS Alignment
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 12:14pm

Let me make sure that I clearly understand the issue - you are saying that the misalignment is in the horizontal plane?  That is, the picture you posted shows how the headstock drive center and the tailstock live center come together as seen from directly overhead.

If so, I would start by looking for an opportunity to loosen the bolts that attach the headstock to the bed to see if you can twist the headstock a fraction of a degree to correct the misalignment.

I agree with you that you that filing and shimming should not be required to achieve vertical alignment on a brand new out-of-the box lathe, and if that's the problem, then leaning on the manufacturer is appropriate.  But a slight horizontal misalignment could call for a simple fine-tuning of the assembly of the lathe that you could reasonably do yourself.

Louie

IP Logged

David Gilliland
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

JET 1221vs
Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 1:28pm

Thanks so much for the informative reply Louie.

Yes, you are understanding my issue correctly. The photo is taken from directly above the tailstock and head stock, and the only misalignment than I can see from visual observation is horizontal.

I will look in to adjusting the head stock, though it appears that accessing those bolts will be quite tricky!

One other note is that there seems to be some play in how the tailstock rides on the racks, and if I pull it toward myself slightly then it becomes pretty close to aligned. However, once I clamp it down to the rack it goes back to the original position.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Supporter

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 1:46pm

Can the guides to your tailstock be loosened from underneath?  This is different than the lock down handle.  I'd guess this is what needs adjusting...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Supporter

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 1:51pm

Sorry...just checked the manual, my previous comment will not work.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

David Gilliland
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

JET 1221vs
Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 3:05pm

Unfortunately as you discovered, I cannot adjust that separately. I'm assuming the mfg was suggesting that I file down one side of the tailstock guides to bring it back toward center, but I'm definitely not comfortable doing that.

The shimming they were recommending was to address twist in the bed, but aside from a manufacturing defect I don't know why the bed would be twisted...

Seems like adjusting the head stock as Louie suggested might be easiest, if I can access those bolts.

IP Logged

Chris Neilan
WR Supporter

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Reply #6 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 4:05pm

Common problem is the setup. The lathe has to be leveled to the floor. Try adjusting the leyveliing feet. You will find that that will rack the lathe. Keep adjusting till erfect. I had to do this to mu Powermatic.

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #7 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 4:51pm

Loosening the bolt under the headstock on my old Delta (which is actually new) and shifting it a little by hand solved the same problem on mine. Their right in line now when you tighten the tailstock.
Geo.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 5:08pm

I would go back to Jet again and since this is BRAND NEW OUT OF THE BOX, I would request they replace it with another.  Paying full fair for a lathe (by that, I mean brand new, not used) you should not have to "re-machine" it to make it function correctly. Angry

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #9 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 6:09pm

Tom Coghill wrote on Aug 24th, 2017 at 5:08pm:
I would go back to Jet again and since this is BRAND NEW OUT OF THE BOX, I would request they replace it with another.  Paying full fair for a lathe (by that, I mean brand new, not used) you should not have to "re-machine" it to make it function correctly. Angry

+1

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #10 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 7:04pm

Like some of the other respondents, i would be extremely hesitant to start filing away, which would void your warranty.

You might consider getting several 3x5 cards as test shims.  It's not clear if you have the lathe on a benchtop or a stand, but that may not matter (except, if you have it on a stand, make sure the lathe bottom meets the stand without play on all four corners.) Make pencil marks to indicate the positioning of the base of the lathe on the tabletop, or the stand on the floor.  Bring the points of the drive and live center within a sixteenth of an inch of each other, but slightly separated.  Slide two of the 3x5 cards under one corner of the lathe bottom or stand, and see if the alignment of the points changes.  Remove the two cards and try under the adjoining corner and note the results.  It might be necessary to apply light downward pressure on the four corners of the bed .  Seems like this should show if there is twist in the lathe bed, without a lot of time and trouble.

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #11 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 8:23pm

David Gilliland wrote on Aug 24th, 2017 at 1:28pm:
...there seems to be some play in how the tailstock rides on the racks, and if I pull it toward myself slightly then it becomes pretty close to aligned. However, once I clamp it down to the rack it goes back to the original position.

Depending on how close "pretty close" is, this may be normal or intentional.  Robust (as an example) guarantees alignment when both the headstock and the tailstock are pulled to the front of the play between the ways.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #12 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 10:07am

Here's a scenario for some of you guys. (small rant)

You need XXXXX tool for work to make money.
You pay for a new tool for said purpose.
If the new tool doesn't work properly what do you do?.

I take it back and get another one that does work.
After all, I didn't pay for a broken or out of alignment tool, I paid for a new one.
It doesn't matter if an easy fix or no big deal or someone else says "yeah, mine was like that".
You pay for a new tool, you should get a new tool PERIOD.

Honestly, if you don't mention the initial quality problem, manufacturers will continue to provide sub standard tools.
Rant over

IP Logged

David Gilliland
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

JET 1221vs
Reply #13 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 12:40pm

Ed Weber wrote on Aug 25th, 2017 at 10:07am:
Here's a scenario for some of you guys. (small rant)

You need XXXXX tool for work to make money.
You pay for a new tool for said purpose.
If the new tool doesn't work properly what do you do?.

I take it back and get another one that does work.
After all, I didn't pay for a broken or out of alignment tool, I paid for a new one.
It doesn't matter if an easy fix or no big deal or someone else says "yeah, mine was like that".
You pay for a new tool, you should get a new tool PERIOD.

Honestly, if you don't mention the initial quality problem, manufacturers will continue to provide sub standard tools.
Rant over

I completely agree Ed! Since I'm a bit of a newbie I wasn't clear if this was a problem with my setup or with the lathe itself. I'm still not clear actually, but I think all of the setup-related issues mentioned above are things I have addressed, so I'm thinking it's the lathe itself. Not only is the spindle alignment a concern, but based on the sounds and vibrations coming from the drive system, I feel like the bearings are not in good shape either. I took a few videos if anyone is willing to take a look and let me know if they have the same conclusion.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If there's a bearing and alignment issue, to me that's more than enough for me to send it back. Unfortunately that's a huge pain in the rear for me, but seems like it's the right move.

Thanks again!

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Devotee

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #14 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 1:58pm

My response questioning the description of the problem was based on the experience that I had with a new lathe a few years ago.  It came disassembled - among other things, I had to mount the tail stock on the bed - and I found that while the vertical alignment between the headstock and tailstock was bang on, the horizontal alignment was off.  But that was purely a matter of the positioning of the headstock on the bed - all I had to do was loosen the four bolts, shift the headstock a fraction of a degree, and tighten the bolts to resolve the problem.

I don't know how Jet ships their lathes.  If you had to do the final assembly, or if it was done for you by a local dealer, then you could be in the same situation.  That's a simple setup issue, and is easily resolved.

But as Ed says, it is absolutely unacceptable for a manufacturer (even one with a good reputation like Jet) to suggest that you need to shim or file a brand new machine.  If a new product requires that kind of aftermarket fix, then it needs to go back to the factory. 

As far as the sound goes - I don't have a Jet so I can't comment other than to say that my 5-year old lathe also makes noise.

This is a situation where it would be really helpful if you could find a local club - I'm sure that there would be members who would be happy to make a housecall to help you diagnose the problem.
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2017 at 1:59pm by Louie Powell »  

Louie

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print