Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another Way to Wedgie w/ A Sled (Read 189 times)

Bruce L Jones

One Day At A Time

Baltimore, MD, Maryland, USA
Baltimore, MD
Maryland
USA

Another Way to Wedgie w/ A Sled
Aug 27th, 2017 at 7:09am

First off I'm NOT trying to take away from what has been shown on other threads on this forum; those sleds are very nice and maybe I'll make one myself. I've been working in a shop for over 30 years and one thing I've learned is there's always another way to do things I do most of my work w/ very basic tools. If your like me and just want to get your pieces cut so you can start gluing here's what I do. First you have to have the angle you want for your Stave or segment then I cut then w/ a miter saw w/ the blade at 90 degrees. for segments your done except for sanding; I sand all my pieces. I stick sand paper to a flat board and move the segment across the sand paper. For the staves I use a very basic plywood sled w/ a buffer plate on top  that I can screw into; set the pitch angle for your stave then cut a  jig  block w/ that angle, this will become your stop block for the second cut (on the left of photo). the first stop block is at a 90 degree (on the right of photo). So when finish cutting your stave all your removing is the small amount of wood that makes the required angle, and I still sand every cut before gluing.

Bruce
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2017 at 8:49am by Bruce L Jones »  

Jack of all master of none.
https://www.facebook.com/serenityartisans  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Glenn Roberts
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Re: Another Way to Wedgie w/ A Sled
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 11:36am

Bruce, I have not used or made a sled, and I haven't a clue what I'm doing  Wink. But I read that with a good blade there is no sanding required except for the fuzzies! It would be easy for you to make a sled because of your experience, and I would be interested to learn which method of cutting segments you then choose.

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

Bruce L Jones

One Day At A Time

Baltimore, MD, Maryland, USA
Baltimore, MD
Maryland
USA

Re: Another Way to Wedgie w/ A Sled
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 8:38pm

Glenn Roberts wrote on Aug 27th, 2017 at 11:36am:
Bruce, I have not used or made a sled, and I haven't a clue what I'm doing  Wink. But I read that with a good blade there is no sanding required except for the fuzzies! It would be easy for you to make a sled because of your experience, and I would be interested to learn which method of cutting segments you then choose.

Glenn this is a sled I just don't have the fancy hold downs and the $100 Freud Diablo blade but even if these were planed or joined glue seams I would still sand them to get rid of any imperfections; that is just how I was taught. I've made countless jigs in my career and as I said I will most likely make one like the ones shown here on this forum. I'm just showing what you can do w/ a basic saw and materials.

Jack of all master of none.
https://www.facebook.com/serenityartisans  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print