Mike Nathal

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Quiet compressors
Sep 4th, 2017 at 5:31pm

Ultra quiet compressors were mentioned briefly in the "Question of the Week"  topic, I thought I would share the newsletter article that I wrote for our local club. 

"I have owned a 3 HP, 20 gallon compressor for over 25 years, and its high capacity is needed to drive many air tools and a sand blaster.  But man, is it loud!  I can’t use it for prolonged times, even with ear plugs.  So I decided to buy a cheap, oil-free, 2 gallon compressor for the small jobs like blowing off dust.  This was a little quieter, but still required ear plugs, so I wasn’t too angry when it stopped working after a couple years.  Then I bought a slightly larger used Craftsman compressor, off of Craigslist.  This was an oil-lubricated machine, a type which is not very popular these days, but it was much, much quieter than even the small oil free rig.  I was sad when it died recently.   In my research to find a replacement, I discovered that a new technology for ultra-quiet compressors has become available.  Note that a standard oil-free compressor typically produces a noise level of at least 75 dB.  These new ultra-quiet compressors can come in as low as 60dB!  Amazingly, when mine is running, it seems to be only slightly louder than my refrigerator, and quieter than my drill press.  When my dust collector is on, I usually don’t notice when the compressor is running. 
At least three different companies are offering these ultra-quiet compressors:    California Air Tools, Briggs and Stratton, and Thomas Compressors. (I bought a Briggs and Stratton).  The price you pay still depends on the size of the tank and the horsepower, but they are not overly expensive.  I am sure that this ultra-quiet technology will become more and more popular, and more and more products will become available. "

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Quiet compressors
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 6:47pm

Thanks Mike,
I've seen those California Air compressors online and they do seem very nice and quiet. I wished they had a larger capacity tank but as you said they get more expensive the larger the tank.
Years ago, I had a 80gal large V-twin cast iron oiled compressor, it was as loud as you would expect. I located it in another room and simply piped the regulator, drier and connections to where I needed them.
Currently I have a 20gal vertical craftsman and it is way to loud to run without protection IMO.
I would also like to see this ultra-quiet tech become more common place and get the price down.
Thanks for the review.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 10:33am

The one from California Air got a lot of comments after the Oregon Woodturning Symposium. They had one up there for one of the demonstration areas, and the main comment was 'you could carry on a conversation right next to it without having to raise your voice'. I didn't personally verify that, but that was echoed by those who have it. It will be my next compressor...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 12:27pm

I have a Husky 4.6 gal 1HP dualtank compressor for in the store and it is quiet enought to keep talking with customers while it is running... unlike the pancake one I had originally gotten for the store!!

That was so noisy!!!
It went home for the shop and is in an adjacent shed to the workshop with the hose running thru a PVC pipe along with the plug.

It is so noisy that, at night, with the windows closed and the shed closed, i can still hear it run.

...but it does what I need it to do.

It is next to my dust collector which is also quite noisy.

Will check out the Cali Air.

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 1:30pm

robo_hippy wrote on Sep 5th, 2017 at 10:33am:
The one from California Air got a lot of comments after the Oregon Woodturning Symposium. They had one up there for one of the demonstration areas, and the main comment was 'you could carry on a conversation right next to it without having to raise your voice'. I didn't personally verify that, but that was echoed by those who have it. It will be my next compressor...

robo hippy

I was going to say the same thing as Reed and Ed said.  But I only heard about it at WoodNet and I know I can not afford them.

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 4:33pm

Why not just take the storage tank from your dead compressor and attach it inline with the smaller quiet compressor.  When i used to play paintball the field i played at did similar for there high pressure air compressor.  They had a bank of steel tanks in the room and banks of steel tanks at each of there fill stations to give them more air volume.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 5:58pm

That would solve the volume issue but not the cfm that the motor needs to keep up with using air tools just isn't there.

I need a compressor that has a good CFM rating so I can run high cfm tools and not have the compressor constantly cycling, trying to keep up.

IP Logged

Chris Neilan
WR Addict

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 8:46pm

I received my 8 gallon California Air compressor a few weeks ago. $185 delivered to my door thru Amazon. Could not be happier. Quiet and blows air! I still have my big one in the garage if needed. It was less expensive (that reads CHEAPER) to buy this compressor than running copper from the garage   to the shop!   Smiley

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

Buck Nemitt
WR Addict

Lovin It

Toronto,Ohio, Ohio, USA
Toronto,Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 7:55am

Awesome Chris, good to read of a positive improvement.

What the heck,Give it a try---

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #9 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 8:37am

Just a word of caution for those considering these quiet compressors.
From the ones I seen, they do not have a very high CFM rating.
This means the compressor (no matter how quiet) may not be able to keep up with the demand of the tool being used. It will need to run more often, possibly constantly during some tool use.
Check the CFM requirements for the tools you intend to use before purchase.

IP Logged

Chris Neilan
WR Addict

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Reply #10 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 8:31pm

Ed Weber wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 8:37am:
Just a word of caution for those considering these quiet compressors.
From the ones I seen, they do not have a very high CFM rating.
This means the compressor (no matter how quiet) may not be able to keep up with the demand of the tool being used. It will need to run more often, possibly constantly during some tool use.
Check the CFM requirements for the tools you intend to use before purchase.

Absolutely true. My compressor puts out 3 CFM at 40 pounds and  2.2 at 90. Enough for my needs, but not enough for some air tools like sanders. You could seriously overwork a compressor trying to run those.

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

lloyd harner

WR Rocks!

littlestown, Pennsylvania, USA
littlestown
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #11 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 7:40pm

really thought i was sready to get one of these now reading up a bit that even a small bead blaster or cool mist for my mill might over run the pump in short order.  im going to have to keep looking around at them

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #12 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 9:02pm

You sacrifice  A LOT of cfm for the ultra-quiet feature.
IMO these are great for staplers, finish nailers and tools of that nature, nothing that runs constantly. If you use drills, sanders, die grinders, impact guns, you nay be disappointed.
A quick search for "air tool cfm chart" can be helpful.
Hopefully they will continue to improve, for my uses they are not even close to finding the neighborhood. For me, it doesn't matter how quiet they are if they can't do the work.

IP Logged

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Reply #13 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 11:04am

Just received my California compressor. I cannot believe the difference in the sound as compared to my pancake comp. it runs a lot but sometimes I do not even notice it. Great for what I need.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 12:13pm

While I'm happy for those of you who like these compressors (they don't fit my needs)
What tools do you use with them, since they have such a low CFM rating?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print