Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Quiet compressors (Read 490 times)

Bruce Kamp

WR Rocks!

Re: Quiet compressors
Reply #15 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 8:13pm

Currently I just use mine mostly for clearing dust, etc. U use electric sanding, I do not do any air brushing yet,  etc. I assume that if I ever expand to using air powered tools I will have to upgrade. Hope they have a big one by then.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Quiet compressors
Reply #16 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 10:45am

Thanks Bruce, I also hope that they can scale these "ultra quiet" machines up to a More useful size. IMO they are quite limited.

Just for those curious about this, I was looking into upgrading my compressor.
I looked into the California Air Tools models and here's what i found.
For a somewhat comparable model (20040C, the largest one they make) to the more traditional style I'm considering. (Campbell Hausfeld 80-gallon, 5 hp, vertical air compressor (TQ3104))

CALIFORNIA AIR TOOLS 20040C
Pro's
It is quieter
Draws less amperage
It's lighter weight, mobile
It's smaller, takes up slightly less floor space
Con's
Smaller tank, (20 gal compared to 80 gal) this means it will need to run more frequently
Less CFM, (10.6 at 90psi compared to 16 at 90) this means it will need to run more frequently
125 max psi compared to 140 max psi
3,000 hour motor life, compared to 10,000 hour
Costs $100-$150 more (prices vary)

I have nothing against the quiet compressors, I just which they were bigger.
Although it is an important part of the equation, there are more things to consider when purchasing a compressor other than dBA levels.
Having an undersized unit for the job means the unit will run longer and more frequently which can negate the lower electrical consumption rating and shorten the amount of time it takes to reach the motor's stated life expectancy.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
m-5hp-208-230v-1ph-tq3104.html
These two units have the same warranty and are in the $1,000 to $1,150 range

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print